Forum rules - please read before posting.

Version 1.40 - Lip-syncing, scene transitions, better ActionList editor

Comments

• Thanks, guys.  Just a heads-up: a "b" release will be out this week to fix remaining bugs.  Nothing major, but I'd like to make AC as stable as possible after so many new features.

@mdk: It was so simple to add, I couldn't believe it took me this long to do so.

@deroesi: I'd hope that 1.40 has gone some way towards making things easier, but I first needed to get things working properly before moving onto perfecting usability.  Keep in mind: much of it is a battle with what Unity allows.
  • sure, I understand.... you've put a lot work into AC, and it really shows! i hope my critiques/requests don't put you down, (just striving for perfection ;) )

keep it up!
  • Version 1.40b.  It always takes a couple of minor releases afterwards to tackle the bugs:
    • Changed: Interactions auto-created by Hotspot Inspector are now named e.g. HOTSPOT: INTERACTION
    • Fixed: Issues related to Choose Hotspot Then Interaction mode
    • Fixed: Issues related to animated textures
    • Fixed: Variable: Check Action breaking if it's referenced Variable is deleted and the UI is not viewed afterwards
    • Fixed: Console errors if BackgroundImage layer is not defined when a game is run
    • Fixed: Player walking during Cutscenes if he is constrained to a Path in Direct control
    • Fixed: Issues related to skipping scrolling text before reaching a [wait] token
    • Fixed: Editor crash if game is paused when an Interactive Cloth is present in the scene
  •  oh, wow, already? Damn thanks for that fix, Chris! :D
  • Hey great job. Lots of new features.

I know that you have limited time. But if you get some spare time, it would be great to have some new videos. They do not have to be as professional as your other ones. Great to show some of the new features that are not covered or have changed since that last videos. Maybe even just a long video creating a project from scratch - one take - mistakes included. 

I know it is a balance because this will delay even more great features. For me though it is easiest to learn from videos.
  • Hi:

Looking at the Physics demo.  Really like how you made it really easy to do things like opening drawers ect.

My question is about creating lip sync files. You mentioned you used Sapi. This appears to be a Windows program. Can you recommend a Mac program. And what type of file is it generating. I have Toon Boom, maybe I can use this to generate the correct file?

Thanks
  • @steveR: Yes, I've been thinking about a longer AC "primer" video that covers the basics from scratch.  Would anyone else be interested in such a video?

As for lip-syncing, I'm actually a Mac user too - Windows tools were the only suitable ones I could find.  Essentially AC just needs to be able to read in a text file that lists phoneme frames against a time index - look at the Physics demo's lipsync files for an example.  If you can show me a tool that generates a similar output, I can see about integrating it.
  • Yeash  new videos are  awasome idea
  • @steveR @ChrisIceBox ... yep sapi is only windows, and Mac speech recognition seens to only work for the predefined command words so it can't be used.

Anyway, although I have a Windows partition (and laptop), I mainly use Mac, so I'm looking for a way to work this. I've read you can use WINE, with the winetricks "speechsdk"... and use the sapi windows tools through it, but I haven't looked at it yet...
  • Thanks for the awesome update, @ChrisIceBox.

Quick question, we keep losing our sorting layers whenever we update AC. Any suggestions to keep those settings?

• @wrongtarget: In what, Sorting Map objects or just the Layer Manager?  I'm not sure it's something you can control - I think it's something Unity handles automatically because of the asset's category.
  • Is your UI using the new Unity UI in the just released 4.6?
  • Re: lypsync There's also some free one called Papagayo

supports multiple platrofms
  • so, Unity 4.6 got out. What's the situation with AC and the GUI like inventory and stuff? Think I'll hold back downloading it until the next AC release...
  • On Lipsync...

For the SAPI format, it's linked to the annosoft webpage where they distribute a freeware lip sync tool that use the SAPI SDK (windows only) and outputs a .anno phoneme sync file (http://www.annosoft.com/sapi_lipsync/docs/group__anno__format.html). Is this the one to use?

I tried Papagayo also, really good program and it works on Mac! But it's for making the lipsyncing manually file to file.

In this case, I preffer annosoft's one, as it's a command line tool and can be used for batch processing ;) and it use the SAPI to register the words positions.

@SoundGuy you'll have a lot of lipsync, doesn't you? With those singing an all ;)
  • @maas Yeah, I'm sure i'll face some challanges with lipsyncing in that portion of the game.

• edited November 2014
    I was awaiting questions about Unity UI..

EDIT: I blather on about my intentions for AC's Unity UI integration here.
  • I just upgraded to 1.40b but I am having some issues.

Specifically my character seems to have disappeared and also none of my hotspots are working

Reading the forums this doesn't seem to be widespread so I am sure I am doing something wrong.

I am thinking it might be that an "in place" upgrade is not supported? (i.e. importing the new version into  a project that already has the previous version included?)

If that's the problem I just wanted to get it confirmed here first, before completely removing the AC folder to reimport it and potentially breaking the project even worse in the process

Thanks!
  • And of course the instant I post a comment, I figure out what's wrong :) 

The managers revert to the Demo managers after an upgrade, so I just needed to assign the custom managers again.

D'oh!
  • @oxyscythe: You can avoid this by not importing the "Resources/References" asset file when updating - this file is just used to keep track of which managers are being used.