Forum rules - please read before posting.

A Fragment Of Her

edited February 2015 in Games showcase
Hi there!

Last November we made "A Fragment Of Her", a short game for the Point & Click Jam, created with AGS. We wondered if it's possible to port the game 1-to-1 from AGS to Unity and just jumped into the cold water. Thanks to the excellent Adventure Creator, we just finished porting and we put the Unity Web Player version on our website

The port isn't officially announced yet, so please don't share this information outside of this forum. It's still an beta build, so bugs and rough edges may occur. We would be very happy if you could give us your feedback on the game - and if something goes wrong, please report the issues directly here in the forum. We plan to officially release the game during the next weeks.

Thank you very much!

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Hey! I remember seeing some background and character making of on Twitter of this... but I'm sorry I didn't have time to play the game when the Jam

It's a great game, love the environment... the music is a bit so so (as there is none at all and then all the way up, and then none), you should add settings for volume and things like that too, I'm not sure if the webplayer allows that.

Anyway... I played the demo and just 3 little things:

- At the library, the portraits of Deans hotspot have no description.
    - At your apartment, the canvas has a transparent line between the back of the front, as you walk behind, you can see yourself passing through.
    - Are you sure you are using pixel perfect camera settings (and up-scaling)? Some backgrounds lines seems thicker than others, and I thought the same on sprites so...

Looking at the library background from your facebook, it seems that the original bg height was 400px (and it's 3X upscaled on facebook, one pixel being 3x3 pixels there), so be careful when upscaling, to do it to full pixels, 2x, 4x. I attach an image to show what I mean.

And that's it... really really good work :)
  • edited February 2015
    Hi MaaS! Thanks for the feedback, we love to hear you like the game!

I already fixed the deans description and the transparent canvas. I also lowered the music volume a bit. We wanted to avoid all kind of option settings to have the game as simple and reduced as possible.It's on purpose that most of the time there is only ambient sound and music only plays at key scenes. Did it annoy you or do you just thing the difference between ambient sounds and music was too big? 

And yes, the pixel-perfect topic *sigh* I know the current version is completely pixel-imperfect but I wanted to get all the scripting done before I look deeper into that topic.These are the current settings: 

The original AGS game is 320x200 and the default filter setting is "3x nearest neighbour", so 960 x 600. To fit into the website design, I set the current size of the unity project to 800 x 600. The Sprites have "25 pixel per unit" and the filter mode is "point". Cameras are set to "Size: 4". I'm not sure if the used PNG sprites are POT (Power of two), is this also important for pixel perfectness?

Thank you so much!

PS: What font did you use in the screenshot above? I'm still searching for good pixel Art fonts :)
  • edited February 2015
    Hi again! I played around a bit and as soon I changed the size of the game to 320x200, 460x400 or 960x800, it was displayed totally pixel-perfect. So I increased the width of my website a bit and now the game fits perfectly and runs pixel-perfect at 960x800 :-) 
  • edited February 2015
    Today I updated to AC 1.42 and now the dialog-options are working as intended. But due to the new AC version I had to change a few things, could be that new bugs squeezed in :) 
  • Haha great! Sorry, but during the weekend I've been quite busy.

Good thing you solved the pixel-perfect stuff... that way the game art style really shines :)

The music was not anoying, it was just that I felt the emptiness from hearing no music at all and the zas! music!... maybe adding volume transition, or a low-profile music to the fx-only locations... And I asked about volume controls just to be able to tune them up for my tastes.

I'll play it again to see if I find anything weird :)

PS. The font I use is some Fate of Atlantis font that someone did... It's not excalty the same, but almost perfect... When I'm at home I'll look for its name, as I downloaded several Lucasarts-like fonts. But in general, for pixel perfect font, any "8 bit" font could be a start.

• I replayed it and I didn't find any bug :)

Oh... and I think that the font I used up there is this:

http://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/show/scumm_font_1

There are more fonts there, you have to register to download.
  • Hey MaaS! Thanks for the feedback and the font link. It seems I really have to register there ;) 
    In the current web version a sound bug was fixed (music was stuttering when changing from first scene to the second), and I think the demo is almost finished now. I will look into the audio volumes and do some adjusting, but all in all this is the version which will be released (hopefully) soon. 
    Thanks for testing!!
  • Finally! A Fragment Of Her is finished and was officially released:
    http://www.chronerion.com/a-fragment-of-her-finished/
    Have fun! Feedback is very welcome :)
  • edited July 2016
    In the meantime, episodes two and three of the "Fragments of being Her Demise" trilogy have been released!