Forum rules - please read before posting.

Grim Fandango Fan test

Hello.

I have been following Adventure Creator since the early versions and finally made the purchase.

So I started with a recreation of a Grim Fandango scene just for fun and to learn many things I have never done before (like low poly models suitable for games, creating normal maps and atlas textures).

So I wanted to test the character setup and made a rather quick rig and walk animation (made in about 20 minutes so it's quite clunky) of a Manny model I made last year which I also had to convert into a "low" poly mesh, and making it walk in a mock up scene of Manny's office (which I will model later).

I must say I loved how easy it was to set this up with Adventure Creator.
I still need to figure out how to make the character walk around objects when I click in front of an obstacle (haven't seen all the tutorials yet), also need to figure out why the character seems to slide when it stops walking, and how to make an open/close inventory button that opens(slides) a rather big inventory image.

So here is my first test :):
http://www.2sinpar.com/gametest/Temp.html

Comments

• edited March 2015

I just wanted to
    make an update since I think I'm done with what I wanted to achieve with this
    (which was to test AC and unity).

Here is the updated scene I just built with unity 5, it doesn't have many
    interactions since that wasn't what I wanted to do, but you can make Manny walk
    and run around :).

http://www.2sinpar.com/gametest/unity5.html

And a comparison of unity (free) 5 vs 4.6

• Cool, I like it!
    He run like Sonic the hedgehog but in larger rooms it'll be ok. ^_^
    The inventory is nice but I'd prefer to close itself when I leave it.
    Ask me about Monkey Island and the memory frame are "ehehehehe"!!! ;))

You made all the graph? Great job!

ps: In Unity 5 there are all engines effects for free? Good to know... 
  • Good job there! :)
  • edited March 2015
    @2finger hehehe, I tried to emulate the original game's walk and run animations the best I could, I too think in a bigger room the run animation would look better.

I agree about the inventory, but I didn't find a way to make it work on mouse exit, unless I missed an option for it.

Thank you!, yes, I made everything in it including the posters :) (with the exception of the lucas art logo and a couple of frames with Peter Chan's concept art pencils that are displayed in the same wall as the logo).

Yes, Unity 5 personal edition (free) has everything including most or all of the old Pro only features (like full shadow support in lights, bake lights to render/image effects and more), I was pleasantly surprised when they released it yesterday since those features do make a huge difference.

@MaaS Thank you! :D
  • Woah! You are the one who draw them? I already saw them on a link on facebook (i just click on "I like") and I think: "Awesome!!!". Now I can say: "I know the artist who made them!". ^___^
    You are really a Pro! If you learn well to use AC, your games will be the best! :)
    Good luck and let me know other project you're making. 
    See u around!
  • Hehehe, Thank you! :)