Forum rules - please read before posting.

Version 1.43 - New tutorials, Speech Manager upgrade and all-round refinements

2»

Comments

• @GrzegorzPEdrycz: The necessary corrections were made.  If it's still not working for you, it may well be your set-up.  Please post details in a new thread and we'll take a look at it.
  • Version 1.43a is out, and fixes some minor issues - most of them Speech Manager-related:
    • Added: Expected Lip-sync file paths to Speech Manager’s list of speech lines
    • Fixed: “Place audio files in speaker subfolders?” option in Speech Manager not also applying to lipsync files
    • Fixed: Speech Manager’s Scene filter not working for specific scenes
    • Fixed: “Use Player prefab name in filenames” Speech Manager feature not updating lines UI - requires re-gather
    • Fixed: Submit and Cancel inputs not being included in Input Manager
    • Fixed: PickUp objects not responding to simulated input
    • Fixed: Default Unity UI Hotspot menu blocking cursor clicks
    • Fixed: Display issue with “Character: Hold object” Action if no Settings Manager is defined
    • Fixed: MainCamera’s Audio Listener remaining active during a Cinema Director Cutscene if overriding is enabled
    • Fixed: Incorrect camera being active when a Cinema Director Cutscene is called during Ultimate FPS movement
  • Yes, I had all of the managers set up correctly. I just downloaded 1.43a, going to try again.
  • Hey Chris,
    I hate Unity. Seriously, how is it possible that the same identical scene, opening it again a day later goes at 30 fps when it was going at 10? How am I supposed to work in these conditions I don't know. I know some friends who have released games on Steam with Unity that had the same problem and they literally rebooted their PC at times to continue development (monitoring the framerate is key and it was a shooter).
    That said, yeah, today it looks normal. I also updated to 1.43a and it seems fine. 

My only problem in the profiler seem some spike that involve Gfx.WaitForPresent which means everything and nothing :( (it says "N/A" object obviously) but I'm still searching about it

I will run more test to be sure but for now do not worry about it, especially since nobody else seems to have reported this :/
  • edited March 2015
    Just updated to 1.43a and I encountered a MAJOR problem:

Every action in my project (scene based and asset based) that previously affected any variable has now defaulted to Variable: Set  "Played Intro" = False or Variable: Check "Played Intro" etc...

And I've gotten the following error several times: 

Previously chosen variable no longer exists!
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    AC.ActionVarSet:ShowVarGUI(List`1, List`1, ParameterType) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Actions/ActionVarSet.cs:320)
    AC.ActionVarSet:ShowGUI(List`1) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Actions/ActionVarSet.cs:277)
    AC.ActionListEditor:DrawSharedElements() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/Editor/ActionListEditor.cs:190)
    CutsceneEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Logic/Editor/CutsceneEditor.cs:36)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

I have updated the Variables manager to my previous manager and all of my previous variables appear in the variables manager window, but none of the actions have retained the references to those variables like they did after previous updates. Luckily I backed my project up not too long ago and most of the previous actions which reference those variables can be carried over, but since Unity has been very temperamental for me lately I'm going to have to redo the actions in my project rather than try to overwrite those files.

Edit: I exited Unity and restarted it and voila, it's completely fixed! All of the actions reference the correct variables again. I agree with David above me, Unity is a seriously fickle program! Oh well, no harm done apparently.
  • @ChrisIceBox I have set 0 reduction in the speech manager, i need to set it? i don't need reduction in the music
  • @skitt2501
    Welcome to Unity indeed. That type of stuff happened to me tons of times and I had multiple heart attacks. You literally have to backup everyday. I remember few months ago that I had posted that when I updated and re-imported AC, it then destroyed all my cut-scenes actions and I reported it- only to find them working again if I closed and reopened Unity. *Sigh*. That hasn't happened anymore btw, thankfully.
  • @skitt2501: I'd always advise restarting Unity after upgrading, but I think your variables error might have been because the Variables Manager was set back to the Demo one.  You can avoid having your Managers from being swapped like that by not upgrading your AdventureCreator -> Resources -> References asset file - have a look at section 1.6 of the manual.

@Barbapoca: I'm sorry, but I'm not understanding your problem.  Please repost this with more detail in a new thread
  • edited April 2015
    It's strange because when I upgrade AC I typically do include that references asset file so that I need to reset the managers to my managers, and this time was no different. As soon as the AC update was imported I reset all the managers to my specific managers, including the variables one. Yet I still had this problem with variables even after plugging my variables manager in.

I think the problem was a Unity problem, as I remember it crashed shortly after I updated AC, and when I reopened Unity my managers I had previously replaced were reset back to the demo managers again. So I'm sure some conflict there caused the problem. 

Like I said the problem is fixed so it's nothing to worry about, and in the future it's good to know I can skip importing the references asset file.
  • I just finished watching the new 3D tutorial and Chris: this.is.so.awesome! I followed along mainly only hearing the audio and trying to do it blind and that was a tremendous learning experience. All fired up to create my own adventure now. Thanks a million for all the passion you are putting into this asset.

PS: the only part I did not fully understand was why we need constant IDs on many objects, what is done with them and what would happen if they were not there. If you can shed some light there then we are golden :-)
  • A 2.5D tutorial would be absolutely ideal :)
  • @TayannaStudios: There's one in the works.  It'll coincide with the next update.

@10FingerArmy: Thanks. I'm surprised to learn you can do it blind, so that's great.  On a tech level, Constant ID numbers are how AC refers to objects in save game files.  The Constant ID script is needed on any object that AC needs to know about (e.g. the currently-active camera), while Remember scripts are needed on any object that AC needs to know changes about (e.g. which dialogue options in a Hotspot are no longer active).
  • To set this straight, with blind I only meant "not looking at the video feed" but only at the editor. I was congratulating you to the very good explanations you made!
  • Ha, yes - I knew exactly what you meant.  Just didn't think it possible from my voice alone.
  • I am still struggling a bit with the ConstantID. Concrete example: what would be the impact if (in the 3d tutorial video at 3:26:13) you would not have a ConstantID on the _SetGeometry node (which is only a parent and does not contain any scripts).
  • When the game begins, the book is a child of _SetGeometry.  Since we've added the RememberTransform script to the book, and checked Save change in parent?, then AC will need to know what it's parent is when the game is saved.  Adding the Constant ID script to _SetGeometry makes it "visible" to AC's save system.

AC will account for objects that are held by the player (so no need to add a ConstantID to e.g. the hand bone), but any other scene object that the book can be a child of must have an ID.

AC only needs to know what the parent object is, not anything specifically about it.  So, adding the Constant ID script is enough - the RememberTransform will ask "What's my parent?", and _SetGeometry can now answer "I am!"
  • Very helpful explanation, thanks a lot!
  • Anyone else unable to "see" any of the adventure creator stuff with UFPS 1.49? Seems like theres an incompatibility going on again, or me being dumb. For example hotspots are not showing up again..or pause menu etc.
  • OK so the Camera&Controller one does work thankfully, seems like the Advanced Player prefab is out of date thats all, VisionPunk adjusted something small, but thankfully the fix is very simple, simply add ACs "Player" script to the UFPS advanced player prefab and its working again.
  • One strange thing is this error:

The 'UltimateFPSIsPresent' preprocessor is not defined - check your Player Settings.

Its definitely there yet AC is not aware!...happens when I interact with stuff (even though that works!) And the hold down and he keeps shooting UFPS bug I had seems to be gone magically!

So actually im really happy, just wondering why that warning is in console :) 

Thanks!
    Gaz
  • Could you post the full error from the console log?
  • Hooray for new tutorials!! I know what I'M doing today... :)
  • The 'UltimateFPSIsPresent' preprocessor is not defined - check your Player Settings.
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    AC.UltimateFPSIntegration:SetCameraState(Boolean) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Static/UltimateFPSIntegration.cs:246)
    AC.PlayerInput:Grab() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerInput.cs:1409)
    AC.PlayerInput:UpdateDrag() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerInput.cs:1331)
    AC.PlayerInput:UpdateInput() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerInput.cs:565)
    AC.StateHandler:Update() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/StateHandler.cs:143)

• I noticed that a feature has been removed. In one of the earlier releases, the fader slider was editable so we could enter any number in seconds for how long the fades last. This now is limited again. Is there a reason this was removed?