Forum rules - please read before posting.

Show/hide inventory with button press

Hello, I am trying to setup an Inventory that is shown if the user presses an Inventory button (always visible on the screen). 
I am building a game for mobiles, so I am using Touch Screen as Input method. 
The scene starts with the Inventory button locked, since I need the user to learn how to play the game and enabling things one at a time.
I am enabling the Inventory button after the user picks up a backpack that's in the scene. 
I am using "Unlock Menu" to show the Inventory Button. 
It is just a Canvas with a Panel and a button:

The button prefab is like this:

After unlocking the Inventory button the player doesn't move anymore, but the current game state is normal. 
What's wrong? 

Then I will use the OpenCloseInventory ActionList to open/close the standard Inventory:
This is ugly but it works: I need the button to be over the inventory to be able to press it again to close it.
Is this the best way to do it?
Thank you

Comments

• You don't need to determine the Inventory's state with a variable: just use the Menu: Check state Action to see if it's locked or not.

As for the stuck player issue, have you checked to see if the Inventory canvas itself is blocking taps/clicks?  Be sure to only make the RectTransform cover as much screen space as you need it to.
  • Thank you for the check state suggestion.
    I got the player moving again now, but I don't know why. BTW, this is how the InventoryButton looks like now:

And this is the "OpenCloseInventory" ActionList to Hide/Show the inventory after button click:

Thank you for your time!
  • Looking better - if your InventoryButton's Appear type is set to "During Gameplay", then you also don't need to turn it on explicitly - simply unlocking it will be enough.
  • Thank you, it works.
    I still have a small issue: 
    I am enabling the InventoryButton after the player collects a backpack. 
    I am using this cutscene:

The InventoryButton is enabled only after the dialogue is over or skipped.
    If I set the dialogue to Play in background, the button is enabled before the dialogue.
    It is not a big problem, but maybe there's something I am missing.

P.S. translation of the dialogue for non italians:
    "The top left button is the Inventory Button. Press it to display the content of your backpack!"
  • If you've set your InventoryButton's "Appear type" setting to "During Gameplay", then it won't appear during Cutscenes.

For complete control over when it's displayed, set the "Appear type" to "Manual" instead - you can then use the Menu: Change state Action to turn it on and off at will.  You won't need to lock / unlock it, that way.
  • Thank you! Hope I won't bother you anymore with menus :)