Forum rules - please read before posting.

[FIXED] Bug: frame-flipping setting unjustly hidden?

When you uncheck Multiple Directions on the player/npc script, it also hides the Frame Flipping dropdown, which doesn't seem like it should be hidden? It does still respects the setting whether it is hidden or not.

I was looking for that setting because a new character I made was walking backwards, and eventually I found it when checking Multiple Directions. I then set it to Right Mirrors Left, unchecked Multiple Directions again and it worked.

Comments

• Hm.  The bug here is that it shouldn't be respecting the frame flipping dropdown if it's not visible.  I will insert an additional check for it, thanks.
  • Nice to see this got fixed in 1.29. It's still a bit of an issue for me though, but that's probably because I don't fully grasp how the animation system works.

So, what I have is a character drawn from the side, facing left. I made an animation clip from his walkcycle frames called Walk_L and dropped that in the Animator, calling that state 'Walk' and put that as the walk name in the player script. Then I selected Right Mirrors Left so he can walk both ways.

What happens when I have Multiple Directions checked though is that I get a ton of Animator Goto State:State Missing errors. With it unchecked the errors are gone but the character does not flip anymore.

Eventually there will be up and down walkcycles too, but how come it has trouble with just the side walkcycles in place? Should I seperate the walk anim out into two clips and flip the frames in there?
  • Little confused by your explanation: make sure that the clips in the Animator are properly named with the _L etc suffix.  This is what the engine looks for when playing back animations.

When "Multiple directions" is checked, it looks for _U, _L, _R and _D variants for each of the standard animations.  If frame-flipping is checked, it'll only look for _U, _L and _D (or _U, _R and _D depending on what kind of frame-flipping you've chosen).
  • edited April 2014
    Ok I'll try to explain differently - basically I have only 1 animation CLIP right now, which is a side walkcycle facing left (called walk_L). I've put this one in the Animator of the player (in a state called walk).

So with multiple directions checked, do I need to name the state in the Animator walk_L instead, and add two more states with _D and _U appended? I tried that just now (they all use the same clip, and the character walks fine, but that's when I get the goto state errors.

• If your character only moves one direction - you don't need to have the "_L" suffix, just call it walk and uncheck the Multiple Directions box.  Not sure why you got the error, though - that method should also work.
  • Well the thing is I'm using that one animation as placeholder for all directions right now (the character is intended to walk up down left and right, I just haven't done the other anims yet), and when I check Multiple Directions and use the frame flipping that works exactly as I'd like it, except I get that bucketload of errors slowing the game down. So I guess my question is is that an inevitable thing I'll have to stomach until I get around to the additional animations, or is there a way to 'turn off' that error while still retaining the ability to do frame-flipping?
  • I don't think so - I did actually try to hide the error myself, but it seems that Unity forces it.