Forum rules - please read before posting.

[SOLVED] How to achieve this? Scaling differences

edited April 2014 in Technical Q&A
Heyo!

I've been trying to think of a way to tackle an issue I have with the navmesh and sorting map in one of my scenes - the scene in question is fairly large and has a lot of depth, but there is also a staircase off to the side where the scaling doesn't look good since the top of the stairs is 'higher' than the horizon line on the sorting map. In AGS I solved this by making the stairs a seperate walkable area with its own scaling setting, but I think in AC everything is dependant on the one sorting map. Any ideas on how I could work around this problem?

Comments

• You'll want to use the "Character: Change rendering" Action to lock the Character's sorting order in place when they're on the stairs.  You could attach this to a trigger on the stairs, and release it with another such action at the bottom.
  • edited March 2014
    Where is the "Character: Change Rendering" action? I can't seem to find that at all?
  • edited March 2014
    It's the fifth from the top. 
    Check in your Actions if you're using the last ActionManager. I personalised all the menus except the one of Actions, because Chris is adding always new actions. 
    So I use the Demo_ActionManagers because I make ur same error time ago! ;)
  • If it doesn't show up for you try going to the Actions tab in AC and hit refresh. It should be in there then.

This did the trick indeed, thanks for the tip Chris! I hadn't looked at that action before. Getting used to AC through the lens of AGS means I sometimes forget there might be a completely different way to solve things ha.
  • No problem.  Incidentally, the upcoming 1.29 update will allow you to change the active Sorting Map.  The new Engine: Change scene setting action will replace the Engine: Change NavMesh action, and lets you change the NavMesh, default PlayerStart, Sorting Map and Cutscene On Load/Start in-game.