Forum rules - please read before posting.

Among the Innocent: A Stricken Tale

I can finally fully reveal what I've been working on for nearly six months! It's called Among the Innocent, and is the first of a five-part series of games, collectively called the Stricken series, which takes place in a fictional version of the eastern Free State in South Africa, over a period of 50+ years.

Among the Innocent takes place in the early 2000s and plays to a lot of classic horror film tropes, although it's an adventure game at its core. So it focuses on exploration, discovery, solving puzzles and playing at your own pace. There are no crappy flashlights, overly dark interiors or hiding in cupboards :P

I've just released the alpha demo of Among the Innocent. I intend to release the final game in August 2016.

Please feel free to head to the dedicated website www.stricken-game.com and grab the demo. It's currently only for Windows PC but I intend to have Mac and Linux versions very soon.

Some (slightly older) screenshots!

Comments

• Website seems to be down - it was working earlier today?
  • @Snebjorn, yeah my web hosts are having some trouble, at the worst possible time :( Hopefully it'll be working soon though!
  • Okay, web site is back up! Hopefully it stays this time.
  • Very nice!  PM me if you'd like it added to the showcase page.
  • Finally had the chance to try it, and really like it!

A couple of comments, though (might not be relevant at this stage):

- The lighting seems a bit uninspired and doesn't quite do the texturing quality justice. Everything looks a bit flat in the current version.

- Performancewise it feels very heavy considering the relatively simple static scene geometry.

Again, these might be something you'll be addressing anyway, but I just wanted to give you my initial reaction.

Looking forward to the full version!

• Thanks for your comments, and for taking the time to play the demo, @Snebjorn!

Lighting: Totally agree. It's a constant battle for me to get the lighting right. It's quite difficult to balance with the very bright outdoors and create sufficient contrast indoors, without it feeling too oppressive. Definitely still needs some work though.

Performance: Again, yup. It's something that I'm constantly working on. As an art person I tend to go too heavy on certain things without properly taking its performance effects into account, so I'm always trying to dial back here and there to get more performance. It's the trees and general flora for the most part, so I think I'm going to have to be very heavy-handed with optimisation.

• I liked it but
    It locked up when I tried to IKEY my inventory while looking at the upstairs
    lock, ALT-F4
    to quit, locked up on game load, then new game, unlocked bottom door, couldn't save, quit, main menu said ..saving..(?) I have Intel onboard graphics on 'low' it looked fine, I can't stand contrast. I'll be back to try the maze, wonder why I can't save twice.
  • I like it. Good job :)