Forum rules - please read before posting.

Working with a Director

Hi all,

I'm considering bringing in a director to help with my project.  My thinking is that working with someone who has experience directing film/movie projects will help bring skills I don't possess:
- Scene layout/lighting
- character direction
- camera positions/movements
- cut scene direction

Does this sound like a reasonable idea?  Has anyone had experience working with a director on a game project or know how to go about finding/working with one?

Any help/opinions would be much appreciated

Cheers,
Simon

Comments

• Hi Simon

In theory it's all good but the problem that can arise is when you disagree with a director's approach. After all, a director's job is to also help define the 'feel' and look of the game, too.

Then again, if you just make it clear that you only want help on those points you've already made then it may be worth a shot. The ball's in your court, my friend :)
  • edited October 2016
    It really depends... the problem in games is that they're interactive. A film director on the other hand is used to creating unmodifiable experiences. A movie doesn't change for the viewer's decisions. Also, you have to be careful not to go too far with the cinematics. You can only ensure such opportunities at specific locations in a 3D game, places or points of view which you know the player can't avoid. But a player will always wander around, will always look at the wrong place, and getting steered around forcefully isn't to the liking of all players. Course, if you are doing 2D (or fixed camera angles) some of that hassle becomes somewhat easier, as you'll have a better understanding about where the player will be and where he/she will be actually looking at.

Even if he/she is a director he/she would still need to get used to the interactive nature of games. But, yes, during the right times or right circumstances their knowledge could result in enhanced quality (mainly, cutscenes, specially those you know the player can't avoid).