Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Possible Bug] Menu Names

Hi,

I'm not sure why but when creating a new project. All my menu names/titles have been replaced with
their I.D. numbers instead.

This happened not only for my games managers but for the 2d & 3d demo managers as well.
I tried using the New Game Wizard again but got the same result.
I also tried closing & re-opening Unity but nothing had changed.

It is a relatively clean project, I imported Adventure Creator & Unitys Standard Assets together upon creating the new project & imported a few sprites to be used for prototyping after that. I did however, delete a few of the Unity Standard Assets but didn't touch Adventure Creator or anything else. I wouldn't think that would make a difference though.

It's not a problem for me right now but I thought I should at least make the forum aware.

Aside from that everything is working great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Those aren't ID numbers - they look like they could be data addresses, though.  Seems like they've also affected the labels.

If they've affected the Demo_MenuManager asset file, then restarting the New Game Wizard won't fix it because the NGW copies the new Menus from there.

What version of Unity are you using?  You should be able to revert this by copying over the Demo_MenuManager and Demo2D_MenuManager asset files from another project.
  • Just to follow-on here, I also have started getting this after updating to 1.54 (although I was coming from a pretty old version so it could have been introduced at some point in between) every time if you use the new game wizard. Unity 5.4.1. The only "weird" thing was an error in the console after initially importing the project that said YAML import error - unsigned int not supported or something. No idea if that is related, but it was the only visible error I could see.

Deleting library, reimporting, restarting - nothing seems to work - you get those errors every time. Copying a "known good" from an existing project does seem to work so it looks like it's something in the wizard?

I do tend to choose Unity UI if that helps.
  • And the error is exactly the same as the image in the first post?

Without knowing the full error message text in the Console, there's no way to tell if its related and a clue to a solution - if you can have it return, please post the contents here so we can examine it.

Have you tried re-downloading AC as opposed to just re-importing it?  The Asset Store holds a number of versions of AC depending on your version of Unity, so it may be that you aren't using the correct AC, which you should be able to remedy by re-downloading it.

If you ignore the New Game Wizard and try running the 3D Demo game with its Managers assigned, is everything OK there?
  • Hey - yep, errors are identical - right down the exact same numbers/hashes or whatever. The menu "names" are identical numbers to those above. Can also confirm that if I open the 3D Demo - they are also busted. 

So it seems like something in the import maybe? I did get that binary to YAML error on unsigned int again when doing a fresh import.

This was a totally clean project with a download (to update) and import. I just deleted AC, redownloaded and re-imported - same thing. Later I might try killing library, deleting AC manually from HD, and downloading clean in a totally different clean project (but there's literally nothing else in the project yet other than AC).

Here's a paste of the exception (also in the above image you can see in the status bar) - and you'll see even the asset hash is identical:

DirectoryNotFoundException: Directory 'P:\gitwork\emptyproj\Assets\416476656e7475726543726561746f722f536372697074732f416374696f6e73' not found.
    System.IO.Directory.GetFileSystemEntries (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, FileAttributes mask, FileAttributes attrs) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:514)
    System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:308)
    System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetFiles (System.String searchPattern) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/DirectoryInfo.cs:165)
    (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.DirectoryInfo:GetFiles (string)
    AC.AdventureCreator.RefreshActions () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/Editor/AdventureCreator.cs:400)
    AC.AdventureCreator.OnEnable () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/Editor/AdventureCreator.cs:48)
    UnityEditor.EditorWindow:GetWindow(Type)

...the above number in the Exception is populated in the Save file, Custom Folder path, Folder path in the demo managers as well.
  • Sorry for the trouble you're having.  My best guess would be that this is down to some combination of Unity / Asset Store / AC, as the problem seems to be related to Unity's metadata system.

When AC's next update is released, I will provide an additional release for Unity 5.4.2 (or whichever is the latest official) which we will have to see if that improves anything.  In the meantime, PM me your invoice number and I'll provide you with a private .unitypackage file of AC.
  • Just to follow up on this - the issue here turned out to be related to the initial YAML error that happens upon importing AC into Unity if you have asset serialization set to "Force Text" - this corrupts something on the import and results in this issue.

The solution here was to change the asset serialization mode to "Mixed" - and re-import AC. No YAML error this time, and all the menus and paths are correct.

So looks like an issue in Unity and not AC - but hopefully this might help someone else.
  • Note that, after a succesful import, the asset serialization mode can be reverted to your previous option - in case needed for e.g. version control.