Forum rules - please read before posting.

Puzzles on Adventure game

Howdy, 

Adventure Creator is a charm for me because I love to create game logics but hate to sit and write complex codes. I am doing good with this AC. Now, I am planning to add some puzzles in between my game. What are the puzzles which can be created using this AC alone (coz I am not touching any of that unity programming). Is there any puzzle I can buy and add with this AC like a prefab or an add-on. 
Last question : I know that we can combine AC and playmaker, how good is this playmaker for creating puzzles, does anyone have any thing day about it. 

Note : The last two questions are just to get answers from personal experience, I am doing my googling anyway. 

Good day!!! 

Comments

• Hello,

I must admit that I would also like to know the answer to those questions. Is there somebody who could help us out?

Best regards,
  • Hi

Me too. I also would like to know the answers for those question. I am new here. Atleast the answers for the questions 1 and 2 (1. What are the puzzles which can be created using this AC alone? and 2. Is there any puzzle I can buy and add with this AC like a prefab or an add-on?). Because we can talk about Playmaker and Unity on their respective forums. But this is where we can talk about AC. 

Thanks a lot in advance.
  • Well, you first have to specify the kind of "puzzle" that you mean. Things like you usually see on Adventure games, like clicking books/switches in the right order, or wiring a panel the right way, or putting some broken pieces of something in the right order or right place, are stuff that can be done with logic and you can make them with AC's visual scripting (with actions). You're unlikely to find stuff like that in the asset store. What you "could" find in the asset store are things you could consider "minigames", there are tons of small games you could refit and launch at specific parts of your game, for whatever reason. But again, creating a puzzle will require you to build it.

Start by planning the puzzle, what's going to happen? break it up into logical steps, which can later be translated into actions. To verify if the player pressed some button (in his controller, keyboard or mouse) use an Input: check action. If the character or an object needs to move or act some way after that, translate that into a Character: animate or Object: animate (i.e.: a stone dial needs to rotate left or right, the player needs to visually pull some wires, etc). To keep track of what the player has done use variables (with Variable: check and Variable: set), if the player moved the stone dial the right way, save it in a variable using an int or string variable, i.e.: FirstStep: Passed; you can use that to know if the player already did something (and if he did it right or wrong). anyways, if you want to have more fancy looking puzzles, and not use any scripting, you will have to be creative with what you have in AC.

In general I advise you to keep a printed list of all the actions AC has and make sure to read it every some time, so that you don't forget what you have available to work with.