Forum rules - please read before posting.

feature: rename dialogue option action + probably bug

I ve given the game to testers and they would like to know if there will be the same happening before they click on a dialogue action again.

It would be cool if we had an action where we could rename dialogue options.
like "What is bla?" to "What is bla again?" 
otherwise I would have to add additional dialogue options and enable and disable a lot.

Further I noticed that I have to rewire all conversations with "override" because the connections in the actionlist window editor are not correct anymore as soon as some dialogue option is inserted. I think that's a bug.

Comments

• Can't promise, but I will consider the renaming.  It is already technically possible via adding new options, and there would be complications regarding save data / translations, but I agree that it would be useful.

As for the connection issue, that's an unfortunate issue with the "Override options" feature, as options are matched to the Action's sockets by index.  It's more something to be aware of, rather than something that can be fixed, I'm afraid.
  • I understand the option renaming would be tricky.

For the override options feature:
    Let's say I have 5 options and I insert one more after option 2, wouldn't it work when the indexes for 3 to 5 are just incremented by one? 

I don't know the internals but thats pretty much what I have to do every time I insert an "again" option :)
  • That's what the ideal would be, of course, but the Action is referencing the data from a Conversation and using it in an alternative way.

The option renaming request, however, will be included in the next release.
  • That's fantastic! Thank you very much
  • edited February 2017
    I just thought a bit about the dialogue option renaming feature.

Do you think it's best to have an action which accepts any text for a selectable option? 

Or would it be easier to manage and easier to implement if a dialogue option could have multiple labels that are pre-defined within the conversation inspector.
    So the dialogue option rename or change label action would simply be a dropdown menu with available labels.
    Would that make the implementation easier? (thinking about the complications regarding save data / translations)
    I also kinda like the idea that all conversation options with all label variations are managed in one inspector component.
  • The implementation is already done - renaming will be done in the Action itself.
  • @dude

Interesting topic, because I found a fairly easy way to control dialogue option text was write
    in [localvar:1] for the option label (of course this is referring to an AC string variable you'd have to create)

set:variable to control it in your actionlist.

Might still be useful for something, although this new action Chris is working on sure sounds like it could replace using that

• Great! Thank you! 
    Looking forward to it.