Forum rules - please read before posting.

Kinect Integration

The overview of this package looks to be very useful in a project I'm looking to develop, and I'm thinking of making a purchase. The one thing I wanted to ask for feedback on first is whether its general "point and click" interaction paradigm can be adapted for other devices, and how difficult that might be. I have a need in particular to build a 3D application that the user will interact with via a Kinect rather than a mouse or controller. Are there hooks into the package sufficient to allow integrating such a custom controller?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @tdonadio.

I don't have any experience developing for Kinect, so I can't guarantee that AC will work specifically with that.  However, AC does have hooks for you to override its cursor position as well as other inputs by assigning delegates (see this tutorial) - though bear in mind you will need to be familiar with C# coding to make use of this.

The mouse/cursor position can similarly be overridden with the InputMousePositionDelegate, and its use is demonstrated in the World Space Cursor Example script that comes included with AC.  However, as it requires AC to run I don't mind posting it online for you to view beforehand - see it here.

Essentially, this script allows the user to override AC's cursor position with the on-screen position of a GameObject.  The position of the GameObject is still set by the cursor, but that can be amended so that it takes whatever position you wish.
  • Chris, thanks! This is exactly the information I needed. My team and I should be able to develop whatever C# code is is necessary to use these hooks.
  • You're welcome.  I would recommend, however, that you become familiar with how AC is "supposed" to work before delving into any scripting.

As AC is a "top-level" asset in that it is designed to control all aspects of your game, if you want to override anything it's important to understand how it all works first.  Reviewing the 3D tutorial in particular is a good way to get a general overview.