Forum rules - please read before posting.

Feature Wish: Scrolling journal text

I apologize if I've somehow missed this feature, but I would love to see scrolling journal text, like you have in the dialogue/speech text. I would also like to easily be able to control the speed of the scrolling too (like the speech).

Comments

• Perhaps I'm not picturing it the same way, but I'm not so sure if that would be beneficial to others - wouldn't it get tedious to get scrolling every time you change page?  How do you envisage it, exactly?

One way you could do this already would be to use a Unity UI Canvas to display the Menu (see this tutorial), "hide" the Text box that displays AC's Journal text, and then have a custom script on a separate Text box that scrolls the text that is showing on the hidden one.
  • Hmm, maybe I'm using journals the wrong way. I'm currently using it like I would for a narrator's speech, but the journal text currently works better for me than the narrator's speech.

Perhaps a simpler solution would be to add an option to make the speech not skippable at all and will stay up forever until I manually tell it to go away (The player has no option to get rid of it until they answer a question). At the moment the speech text disappears on player click, or after a while on its own.
  • That is already possible.  If you show your subtitle text on a Menu with an Appear type of Manual, you'll then have full control over its display via the Menu: Change state Action.
  • Ok, I seem to have worked it out. I checked out conversations and they work just fine (hadn't even thought of that). By looking at the conversations I seemed to have worked out what I was doing wrong with the speech too. Sigh. So sorry about that.