Forum rules - please read before posting.

UFPS integration compromise question

Hi, I'm yet to try this, but I have a UFPS question:
the integration tutorial suggests that using UFPS will compromise AC's Hotspot feature along with the rest of AC's internal logic, including the Ignore Raycast layer.
This sounds like a bad compromise if you're coming from AC and aim to do an adventure game. Could someone explain to me like I'm 5 about the benefits of integrating UFPS into AC? Thanks.

Comments

• This is probably best answered by someone with more practical dev experience with the two, but I'll offer what I can.

Perhaps I worded this tutorial poorly, as there isn't much compromise with Hotspots or layers.  AC gives you the option of locking/unlocking the cursor to interact with Hotspots (as desired), but this is a feature of AC's own First Person mode as well.

The Ignore Raycast issue - in that UFPS requires that colliders be placed on the Default layer - is more something to be aware of than a problem.  AC's Hotspots are normally placed on the Default layer, and are detected via raycasting.  This may or may not be an issue, but you can change the layer on which Hotspots appear from the "Layer settings" section of the Settings Manager.

AC's approach to UFPS, however, is to empower the user by having the integration performed in an "isolated" script - i.e. one that isn't referenced by AC's main code base.  This means that, if the integration needs to be tweaked to suit your own needs (as may well be the case - first-person adventures as a wide-reaching game style), you can do so by simply duplicating the script and amending as necessary.
  • Thank you, Chris!

By the way, I think AC is the single most helpful and comprehensive asset on the store today. I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times, but my project would be next to nowhere without Adventure Creator. Thumbs up!
  • Much appreciated @Gregorik, and you're welcome!