Forum rules - please read before posting.

change BackgroundTexture color in a Menu element

Depending on a certain distance between Player and Enemy I want a Menu element (Label) Background Texture color to change.
I found this in your manual:
AC.PlayerMenus.GetElementWithName (string menuName, string menuElementName);
but that's as far as I understand.
 My menuName is EnemySees and the Element Name is: thisColor
How can I change the colors ?

Comments

• You'll first need to have each colour as a separate texture, as you can't tweak the colour in the same texture.

You're on the right track with the coding - that function returns the MenuElement class you want to change.  The parameters require the names, so:

MenuElement thisColorElement = AC.PlayerMenus.GetElementWithName ("EnemySees", "thisColor");

will give you a new MenuElement variable named thisColorElement you can manipulate.

The scripting guide's entry on the MenuElement class can be found by searching for it in the top-right corner.  Scroll down and you'll find backgroundTexture in the list of variables.  You can amend its value with:

thisColorElement.backgroundTexture = myNewTexture;

where myNewTexture is a Texture2D variable you've defined at the top of your script.
  • It took me sometime because I am not too familiar with the AC. variety of functions BUT IT WORKS and thanks a lot.
    To finish this up I need also the Different Texts that go with each color:
    This is waht I have for the color change:

MenuElement thisColorElement = AC.PlayerMenus.GetElementWithName ("EnemySees", "thisColor");

thisColorElement.backgroundTexture = attackTexture;
    where attackTexture is a public Texture2d.
    But, how about using the same procedure for displaying a text under Label Text of the same Menu element? there is no
    thisColorElement.LabelText = myText   ???

• edited March 2017
    The MenuElement class is a base class for all element types.  Labels are of the type MenuLabel - you need to cast from one to the other.  This is a C# technique, and not one specific to AC:

AC.MenuLabel myLabel = (AC.MenuLabel) thisColorElement;
    myLabel.label = myText;

• I consider myself a genius in C language but never experienced nor needed object-oriented languages, c#, c++ etc to me AC scripts are difficult to grasp.
    Thanks again now I have my scene complete