Forum rules - please read before posting.

Dev - Arabic sentence creation when dragging items on hotspots

Hi Chris,

I have a commissioned project which includes Arabic translations, so far we have managed to fix and display all the Arabic translations in the right way, but there is one that I cannot fix as I don't know where to look at so maybe you can give me a hand here. 

The issue is related to dragging items on hotspots, the composed strings are located on RuntimeInventory.cs like these lines of code:

return (prefix2 + " ");
                return (prefix1 + " " + itemName + " ");
                return (itemName + " " + prefix2 + " ");
                return (prefix1 + " " + itemName + " " + prefix2 + " ");

So what I do is reversing the order to make it look right in Arab:

if (languageNumber == 1) //Which is Arabic in my game then
                    return (" " + prefix2);
                    return (" " + itemName + " " + prefix1);
                    return (" " + prefix2 + " " + itemName);
                    return (" " + prefix2 + " " + itemName + " " + prefix1);
etc...

But I cannot find where you compose the string like "Use Glass On Pedestal", which I guess it should be something like (prefix1 + " " + itemName + " " + prefix2 + " " + hotspot.name)

Can you help me here?

Thank you very much for your time and effort, keep the good work.

Comments

• edited April 2017
    I think you're looking in the right place (GetHotspotPrefixLabel method) but AC doesn't seem to handle different logic for composing this out of the box.

Chris is taking a well deserved break, so it's down to the community to provide support at the moment ...

Anyway, I seem to remember making a local change to this about a year ago to support languages where some prepositions change the form of some nouns, but that code is now buried deep in my set of backups ... :-/

To make things clearer: "Glass" is the inventory item, and "Pedestal" is the hotspot, right?

• "Glass" is the inventory item, and "Pedestal" is the hotspot, right?

Your guess is right and thanks to you for your comment, if you find that local change please give me a shout.

• Thinking more about it, I'm not sure how much help my local hack would actually be in terms of solving this specific problem ...

But, wait a minute ... Arabic is rendered right-to-left, but should the actual sentence structure/composition also be reversed from English???

I don't know Arabic, so it would be great if someone with more knowledge on the subject could chime in!
  • The thing is that the English string is composed in that script like this:

return (prefix1 + " " + itemName + " " + prefix2 + " ");

So reversing that "return statement" returns the correct sentence in arabic like:

return (" " + prefix2 + " " + itemName + " " + prefix1); 

the issue is that I cannot find where AC is adding the Hotspot name to that sentence structure.

• An idea for a quick solution which doesn't require changes to the code: would it work correctly if you just swapped the text in the prefix fields for Arabic in the inspector?
  • The exact location may vary slightly depending on circumstance / interface options, but generally the complete label for a Hotspot is pieced together in Hotspot.cs' GetFullLabel function.

This function firsts generates the "use X on " prefix, followed by the name of the Hotspot itself (according to the current language).  Putting the Hotspot name first should be a case of simply swapping the operations around.

As a non-Arabic speaker, it's difficult to know exactly where such changes are necessary - if you can share your insight as you go here, I may be able to add them officially in future.