Forum rules - please read before posting.

Wait until menu closed

I am guessing this has come up before though I could not find it so forgive me if this has been asked.

Quite simply, I have an ActionList that enables a menu which has a button that closes it.  I would like for that actionlist to pause and wait until the menu is closed before continuing.  I have tried doing a Menu:Check action and then looping back if it is still open but this does not seem to allow the rest of the UI to run and locks the game.

What is the proper way to do this?  

Thanks

Comments

• You may be able to fix the looping/locking issue by setting the ActionList's When running field to Run In Background.

However, the "best practice" way to run Actions when a Menu closes is to define an ActionList when turn off asset within that Menu's properties in the Menu Manager.
  • Thanks for the quick response!  I'll give those a try.  

Am I correct that AC is built to do things in a procedural approach in which one action directly triggers another vs sending a game event while declaring listeners for that event?  I was thinking of coding something like an ActionSendEvent and ActionEventListener but then I also realize this may be backwards regarding how AC is designed and it might be wiser to stick with the original pattern.  You thoughts?

BTW, I purchased AC on Sunday and have been finding it to be almost perfect for our project, especially in handling things like character and camera control.  I have a deadline for a small prototype demo on September 15 and AC is making me feel much better about meeting that date.   Very well done!
  • Run In Background works perfectly!  Calling lists still respect the Wait Until Finished as well.  In this situation there are many different lists that might call this and pass parameters, then do different things when it's done.

Thanks!

• edited July 2017
    You're welcome.  I don't see an issue with calling events - AC already includes Object: Send message and Object: Call event Actions, though unfortunately the latter does not allow parameters to be passed.

If you want to run multiple chains of Actions at once, you can use the ActionList: Run in parallel Action.