Forum rules - please read before posting.

A way to make the camera look at/focus on another character?

Had a search around for this and maybe i'm just missing something but is there an action to make the camera look at something else, in my case another character? 

I have a little dialog exchange and would like to just focus on the character that is talking at the time and it would be nice if i can just get the camera to pan across from one to the other rather than setting up 2 cameras and fading between them.
I guess it's something to change the camera's target?

Cheers

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Welcome to the community, @Deeeev.

Generally, whenever you want to focus on another object - you use another camera.  The Scene Manager can be used to create as many GameCameras as you need - each with their own properties.  The Camera: Switch Action can be used to switch between them - either instantly, or over time.

Changing a camera's target at runtime is possible, but requires custom coding and isn't normally necessary.  I'm not sure it would achieve what you're looking for, however, since it has more to do with the way it moves around the scene relative to another object, than specifically where it is aimed.

Another option you may want to consider is also to give your GameCamera a parent, and then animate the parent by using a standard Unity Animator component.  The Object: Animate Action can then be used at runtime to change that Animator's animation parameters, allowing you to play whatever custom animation you like.

If you would like to share images of what you have so far, we can maybe give more specific advice.
  • Thanks for the reply! I think the animate suggestion will do the trick actually, it's only really for something that happens once in one scene.

Thanks again