Forum rules - please read before posting.

Player Slowly Sinking

Hello everyone,
I just got AC and start experimenting with it.
I create a character with Mixamo and exported the Idle, Walking and Running animation. Then I create the character with the AC wizard, I selected the Mecanim animation method and followed the official 2.5D AC Tutorial in order to create the proper nodes in the Animator Controller. I am using Root Motion as well as in the example. The control method is Point and Click and I am using a simple Cube with box collider as NavMesh Segment and floor (the navigation is through Unity NavMesh).
The character moves when I click but I noticed 2 problems:
- the character always stop after the point where I click, if i click again without moving the mouse the character walks back but never really stop in the exact position.
- the character slowly sink in the floor (if I check in the Scene View the capsule collider of the player is going through the box collider of the floor). I tried to disable the gravity in the player Rigidbody (as suggested in a previous post on the forum) but I see no difference.

Anyone ever face the same issue?

Thanks,
Antonio 

Comments

• It seems the sinking problem was related to the Mixamo animation (maybe some vertical root motion?) I tried to switch to the walk animation included in the Tutorial and it looks better now.
    Regarding the overshooting I found it was related to the transition between Walking and Idle, I made it a bit longer trying to avoid that jump between the two animations but it was creating the issue. Reducing the transition, reduce the overshoot. Any best practice on how to make a smooth transition? Do I need another animation in between Walking and Idle?

Thanks,
    Antonio
  • Welcome to the community, @conigliocattivo.

The animations used in the tutorial come from Unity's Standard Assets, but I found a similar "floating" issue myself with it.  I had to play around with the Y-position baking settings in the Animation's Inspector to remove it, so try comparing those settings with your own animations.

Precise movement in any 3D game is something of a can-of-worms, and this is compounded when root motion is involved.  As root motion basically has animation driving movement, it can be tricky to get a good balance of good-looking vs precise landing.

The first thing to try, however, is to make use of a Blend Tree so that animation speed can scale, as opposed to either "fully idle" or "fully walking".  Have a look at Section 3.5 of the Manual - I've provided some tips on improving the appearance of character motion.
  • Hi Chris, thanks for the reply!  Section 3.5 is really what I need  :-B