Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Solved] Two different kinds of hotspot interaction (Interaction Method).

edited October 2014 in Technical Q&A
This is probably one for Chris.

Generally speaking this is for a 2D game type. I am attempting to build to both touch and mouse interfaces in tandem wherever possible.

(A) I want to have two different kinds of hotspot interaction (like the title says). For the main navigate and snoop about the scene I want one type which offers various interactions which leads me to select "choose hotspot then interaction" and to have a cursor to indicate the general presence of a hotspot upon click/tap and then to reveal the possible actions AFTER and not just at the wave of a mouse.

(B) I also have special 'cut-to' views in which I have hotspots which make the camera transition/zoom in and out to focus/inspect specific objects on view. I find that the Interaction Method which works in the above situation (A) isn't very ergonomic when I JUST want single click/tap to look close up and tap to exit this close up.

It may be that I should simply use a menu to get about the 'cut-to' view but I have found that this can be difficult to match to the shape of the scene layout if the screen ratio isn't exactly the same.

Am I doing it wrong? Perhaps I should be using a different hotspot interaction method in the first place, say context-sensitive?
Is the new 'context sensitive' something that will now help provide a solution? It didn't feel the right Interaction Method when I tried a month ago for situation (A).

Perhaps the new Unity 4.6 menus will actually work as an ultimate solution but I was hoping not to have to rely on that until it's out of beta.

Comments

• If you're using Choose Hotspot Then Interaction mode, you can opt to have it emulate Context Sensitive mode.  It'll forego the menu in favour of the simpler one-click-to-use interface.  Just check Single 'Use' interaction? in the Hotspot's Inspector.

The 2D demo uses this trick for the two exits on either side of the scene.
  • Thanks Chris, This works perfectly.
  • Ah, one caveat:

The cursor chosen for these hot spots shows up at what looks like 2x the size of the ordinary cursors (even when it's exactly the same cursor). V strange.

Is there a reason this is happening that I could alter settings on?
  • Have you set the size within the Cursor Manager?  That setting's related
    to when it's a cursor, rather than an Icon within the Interaction menu.
  • It's the same cursor (using the default Look cursor)

Does the Interaction Menu alter or override the cursor? I believe the sie in there is 'automatic'.
  • No - the two are independent.  "Automatic" size simply means it'll use the actual pixel size of the image file.  Just change it to "Manual" and you'll be able to re-size it.
  • Thanks Chris.