Forum rules - please read before posting.

Integration with Dialogue System

Comments

• Nice, looking forward to it. Turn Off Adventure Creator is ticked, yes.

I tried replacing the relevant turnoff / turnon code for that in the bridge script with statehandler.gamestate = gamestate.dialogueoptions / gamestate.normal, and triggering the player cursor explicitely to stay active, and that worked to solve the menus popping up but the cursor was still troublesome after triggering a cutscene, and after a conversation there were issues with the ingame menus not having updated properly somehow, so that was probably not the answer.
  • And while you're at it: I noticed if you pause the game through AC the dialogue system timer keeps running.
  • edited May 2014
    Try unticking "Turn Off Adventure Creator". In v1.2.3, if it's ticked,
    then the bridge calls TurnOffAC() and TurnOnAC(). If you're calling AC()
    in a Dialogue System sequence, you don't want to turn off AC.

If it's unticked, it sets gameState = GameState.DialogOptions. This should
    work better for your needs. I'll also provide an updated package later
    today.
  • I updated to AC 133a?, the latest one on May 14 and dialog system 1.2.3 getting this

Assets/Dialogue System/Third Party Support/Adventure Creator/Scripts/AdventureCreatorBridge.cs(134,67): error CS1061: Type `RuntimeVariables' does not contain a definition for `localVars' and no extension method `localVars' of type `RuntimeVariables' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Dialogue System/Third Party Support/Adventure Creator/Scripts/AdventureCreatorBridge.cs(227,104): error CS1061: Type `RuntimeVariables' does not contain a definition for `SetValue' and no extension method `SetValue' of type `RuntimeVariables' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Dialogue System/Third Party Support/Adventure Creator/Scripts/AdventureCreatorBridge.cs(234,47): error CS1501: No overload for method `ApplySaveData' takes `1' arguments

Assets/Dialogue System/Third Party Support/Adventure Creator/Scripts/AdventureCreatorBridge.cs(245,63): error CS1061: Type `RuntimeVariables' does not contain a definition for `localVars' and no extension method `localVars' of type `RuntimeVariables' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I replaced all instances of RuntimeVariables with GlobalVariables, and all instances of:

GameObject.FindWithTag(Tags.persistentEngine).GetComponent<RuntimeVariables>().GetVarValue( or .SetVarValue(

with

GlobalVariables.GetStringValue( and .SetStringValue(

unquote

So it's something to do with this, probably easier if 1 programmer fixed it once, instead of the users fixing it
    many times ;--}  ?

• I'm working on it today. :-)

An updated support package should be on the customer site by the end of the day. I'll post here and on the Dialogue System forum thread when it's ready to download.

The example scene now also includes a bark example and another conversation.

• http://www.adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/260/version-1-33-bugfix-galore-update-now-1-33a

And 1.33b is on the way.  Please ignore 1.33a - lord knows what updating a AND b would do..
    unquote
    Should I wait for 133b also?
  • Yes, please wait for 1.33b. That's what I'll build against.
  • You can now download an updated support package from the Pixel Crushers customer download site. If you need access, please email your invoice number to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com.

This version has been thoroughly tested with Adventure Creator 1.33b. Up-to-date documentation is at: http://www.pixelcrushers.com/dialogue_system/manual/html/integration.html#integrationAdventureCreator

(You may need to refresh your browser if you have an older cached copy.)
  • edited June 2014
    An updated Adventure Creator Support package for AC v1.34b is on the Pixel Crushers customer download site. If you need access, please email your invoice number to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com. Please note that this updated support package requires Adventure Creator v1.34+.
  • That fixed it, thanks
  • Sorry this post comes so late in the day!

Today's 24 Hour Deal is the Dialogue System for Unity, available at 65% off for only $12.25 USD.

It's an easy way to use other GUI systems such as NGUI, DF-GUI, or 2D Toolkit for conversations and quest logs, and you can write your dialogue in articy:draft, Chat Mapper, the Neverwinter Nights 1/2 toolsets, or Unity.

If you've been waiting to buy, the time is perfect because the price of the Dialogue System will be raised in the next release to better reflect everything that this comprehensive product offers. Today, you can get it for a steal!

If you've upgraded to AC 1.34+, please import this additional patch or email your invoice number to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com for access to the customer download page. I'm sorry I haven't checked it against AC v1.35, which apparently just came out about 20 minutes ago. But if there are any issues, I'll address them right away.
  • Thanks, everything seems to work great still in 1.35, the issues I had before seem to have been fixed, with the exception of pausing the game through AC not pausing the dialog timer or preventing the options from being clicked.
  • Thanks for checking! I'll look into making Adventure Creator's pause also pause the Dialogue System.
  • Hey Tony, I see you added a variable to work with the AC pausing, but I was wondering where I should put that line? (PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueTime.Mode = TimeMode.Gameplay) I tried in it the Start function of another script present in my scenes but it couldn't find TimeMode.
  • edited July 2014
    Sorry, I shortened the code on the Adventure Creator integration page to try to make it easier to read. I'll provide the full namespace in the next release. Try:

PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueTime.Mode = PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueTime.TimeMode.Gameplay;

Or:

using PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem;
    DialogueTime.Mode = DialogueTime.TimeMode.Gameplay;

• Hey Tony, would it be possible for the AC(cutscene) sequencer command to get support for ActionListAssets? These are basically the same as cutscenes but they live in the project window instead of the scene hierarchy. For instance my characters have a few different expressions that are triggered through animations, it would be useful to just make one global actionlist for each expression instead of adding those to every scene as cutscenes. 
  • Good idea. I just added it. It will be in the Dialogue System v1.3.5 release coming out today. In order to find the ActionListAsset at runtime, it needs to be somewhere in a Resources folder.
  • Issue: The cursor turns invisible whenever I initiate a conversation, but I can still click on the buttons.

This is with DS 1.3.5 and Unity 4.6b20 using the new Unity UI, but I had the exact same issue in 4.5.4 using the regular Unity GUI.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here, I've followed the steps in the documentation a few times now regarding the AC integration, but perhaps I'm missing something repeatedly...
  • The support package relies on Adventure Creator's cursor management, but
    something might have changed in it. I'll take a look and post back here
    later today.
  • I'm sorry, I might be sending you on a wild goose chase here. Changing the Use Dialog State to "Always" from "If Player Involved" made the cursor appear, so I think the issue lies elsewhere with something I did.