Forum rules - please read before posting.

Genocide Dolphins (UFPS/AC)

edited September 2014 in Games showcase
A video of my FPS using AC... apologies its a bit jerky this one, not normally like that!.. 

Comments

• I am a bit confused on what exactly this is.

I mean i see that you are using AC and UFPS but what is the game that you are showcasing? Is there a name? story? quest? anything here?

Also, is the "ART" layout in the game final or is the geometry just a placeholder for what will be there?
  • edited December 2014
    Hi guys, I'm back with another video! :)
    To answer your questions, the game is called Genocide Dolphins, an adventure FPS, a brief intro: 
    -
    On the far side of the universe lies the Screaming Tortoise nebula. An unhospitable alien environment of meteor storms, carnivorous wildlife and interdimensional abominations. Mankind's last hope for the future.

You are one of the lucky few, leaving the dying Earth for a one-way trip through the World Portal to Screaming Tortoise 8, one of 10 planetoids terraformed by Architects like yourself to create a new home for humanity. The last vestiges of Earth's finest architecture jostle for space between grandiose neon-drenched skyscrapers and soul-crushing, disease-ridden slums. Here Earth's refugees rub shoulders with sentient droids, alien wildlife and the Wolongs; clones created in a desperate attempt to pull our species back from the brink of extinction. Here you may indulge in every vice and illicit pleasure you can conceive of, and some yet beyond your imagination. And here you will lead the fight against forces that would deny us our final chance of survival.
    -

Currently I am still implementing missions (which is why you see none) and improving the style and art all round, but yes this style is semi-"finished", i.e I wont be plastering the walls with brick textures etc, it is supposed to look very weird :) A sort of twist on cyberpunk, but of course each day I improve my skills I make it look a little better, it's slowly looking more and more polished. I don't want to lose some of the beautiful smoggy red distant city scenes I've made so I'm basically leaving alone parts I made last year that were awesome (but weird looking) and detailing other bits with more advanced materials/substances etc. I guess in the end the game will showcase my evolution of Unity skill and taste evolution, but that is how I like my projects, so long as nothing made at the start looks too lame.

Here is my character fully leveled up and flying around the main city, enjoy.. Any NPC movement you see is all AC powered.

Gaz.

• OK some progress finally, AC is working pretty damn well with UFPS now. :D
  • edited June 2015
    Progress :) 
  • edited September 2015
    Lots more progress.. 
  • edited November 2015

• edited December 2015
    AI :-)
  • edited December 2015
    Weird - I like it. Reminds me a bit of something you'd find in Metal Hurlant back in the day!  :D

There's a really annoying glitch with the FPS arms when they move across the screen, like a few unwanted triangles entering the camera view?

EDIT: Metal Hurlant as in the original French comics. :)>-
  • Thanks! Yeh the gun glitch is bad, I have almost stop noticing because ive been playing with it for too long! Will fix it for next video! Now looking up Metal Hurlant! Thanks for the feedback!
  • Can the player revisit the same scene later? I'm curious to know how you'll handle the state of your AI enemies with Adventure Creator's save system, as if I remember rightly from your earlier videos, it did seem like the player would be able to roam around, visiting the different areas at their leisure, taking on missions etc.

I'm thinking of using this, since AC and Playmaker are best mates, I'm hoping AC will be able to save the Playmaker health variables of the enemies. Although my game will be more linear than GC, I still want the player to be able to revisit locations.

Good stuff btw - those destructible objects in particular look awesome!

• Did 2 videos, one before this has my usual drone and breaking features :) this one focuses on pure all out madness with stupid fast guns, lol.. 
  • edited January 2016
    @Deckard_89 50% of the game is adventuring around talking to people, for that I think I will keep simple booleans for what conversations have taken place and what inventory has been gotten. But for these missions that I have been posting recently it's a one off thing, if you die you start again from the start, you can't jump into these mid way (currently) even though I did have save points planned. The missions are high points in the game where a place that was once peaceful and you could roam like the main world, suddenly becomes a war zone, the same will happen all over the game I think. But keeping them as one off things makes them so much easier to handle, i do want players to be rated perhaps on their performance and they can replay each mission over and over to improve, rather than only playing once or having to set it all back up again, so there should be a menu for action missions you wish to replay, but not story stuff. My motto on this game is if you can cut corners do, given that it has no design document and evolves daily I do what I think seems easiest, and only focus on a really rough feature if I want it bad. Storing AI state etc is a nightmare and would take so much hacking I decided against it. I am using the old school way I used in my old Gloom3 game on Amiga by using adventure creator triggers as "event zones" to turn on groups of enemies and situations as needed, so this might make it more feasible to have save points, you could save between waves, or at the end of one wave, which is why you see a orange diamond fall out of some of my people, I was thinking you oculd save at the end of one wave, not like quake where all state is saved but more generally mission2, phase3, health=69 ammo=40 etc rather than needing to store each bone position and thought of the AI.  
  • Ah, I see. So once you're in a mission, you're "locked in" until you finish it. So the AI doesn't need to be remembered because once the mission's done, it's done (or specific save points once a certain wave of enemies has been killed, like you said).
  • edited January 2017
    Very cool. Reminds me of the original Deus Ex on LSD or something. 

However, what does mixing UFPS with AC do other than bring in combat/FPS elements and enemies? 
  • edited May 2017
    Nice, but the drunk effect lasts too long. It's cool to have the effect but it lasts so long it starts to get in the way of gameplay. Just look at how other games have used this effect. In almost all of them it lasts just long enough to be fun and interesting, because if left too long, it just gets annoying.
  • You could definitely get the drink pouring animation done using Blend Shapes and Adventure Creator's Shapeable script within an Action list that animates the liquid mesh in the glass. However, since humour is obviously a big part of this game you can probably get away with it.

By the way, there were instances where you were expecting things to be there or work in a certain way but they didn't - are you sure this thing that reduces build size isn't removing stuff or corrupting scenes? There's go to be something it's doing that reduces the size of the build, after all.

You've obviously put quite a shift in on this thing so hopefully you can get everything sorted, looks promising - certainly unique!