Forum rules - please read before posting.

"You're My Hero" Adventure Jam 2017 entry

Hello again folks. Adventure Jam 2017 just ended with 113 games completed and entered. It just so happens one of those games is my own, and was made with this very tool here Adventure Creator.

This is a game that was completely designed and developed in the span of only two weeks. It was an insane experience, but I actually managed to get a game done.

So go check it out. I do think it is quite good even though I do say so myself:

http://gamejolt.com/games/YoureMyHero/255403

Comments

• I'll try it if I get the time, though I still owe @Snebjorn playing an entry for another jam which he posted some time ago... Also, I actually signed for this jam but ended up too busy with other stuff to actual make a game, lol.
  • It's really good! Though I never reached the end, because I found Cooper's chemical plant (action section) too frustrating. I was genuinely interested in finding out what happens in the story though - I think it would have been better sticking with just the "investigation" gameplay.
  • Thanks Deckard. You mean the platformer portion of the chemical plant or the actual showdown with Kooptor?

For the platformer portion, the enemies aren't defeatable. You just have to avoid them. Stay on the catwalks above the floor and you will be safe. You'll have to use running jump to jump between some of the catwalks and a couple times you will have to get back onto the floor, but just get back onto a catwalk as soon as you possibly can. Time your jumps to avoid enemies on the floor if you need to jump down from the catwalks.

If you are having trouble with the showdown with Kooptor himself, PM me the details and I'll give you a hint on it.
  • @hightreason It was just the platforming section that got me - jumping over those guys. I failed a few too many times, and having to start back at the apartment got pretty annoying (though actually a decent idea). Anyway, I think I may go back to it at some point and finish it off. No hints though - I refuse all help in games :)
  • edited May 2017
    Here's a post I wrote about how the game jam went for me if anyone is interested: http://www.standoffsoftware.com/2017/05/adventure-jam-2017-post-mortem/
  • Fantastic post! It contains so much good advice on game jamming as well as general design and production tips! ^:)^
  • edited June 2017
    Post jam version released which is far better than the jam version. Some of the changes include:
    • Autosave! The game now autosaves so you don't have to start from the beginning if you don't finish in one go. Since it's almost a full-length game, this was a much-needed feature.
    • Music and sound design! Most scenes in the jam version were completely silent. Now the game features music and sound effects!
    • Improved UI! especially the dialog UI which now features character portraits and better placement
    • Bug Fixes! Lots of little bug fixes and animation fixes

Enjoy :-)

• edited June 2017
    Oh and it's also now avialable on Itchio. You should probably get it there since the downloads are MUCH faster and more reliable than Game Jolt: https://stand-off-software.itch.io/youre-my-hero
  • Cool, now I may even finish it!
  • edited June 2017
    And here's a trailer I made for it:

• Hi just curious you have windows and linux export but no mac? I thought you could easily deploy to mac even if you're making the game on windows?

Anyway I am currently on mac so cannot look at the game.

Your video looks pretty interesting so congradulations on finishing your game.

Anthony
  • edited June 2017
    Thanks for your interest in the game.

The reason there is no mac version is because I don't have access to a mac for testing a mac build. I don't feel comfortable simply pressing the "build for mac" button, releasing a completely untested version, and hoping for the best. I have no idea how well that build would work, and if anyone has issues, I have no way of providing support. I have learned the hard way in the past that simply changing the build type and outputting a file doesn't always work as well as we'd hope. In fact, the Linux build of this game had issues and so I have to make a few changes to the project before I build for Linux.

It may still be possible to play on a mac using Wine or some other way. I have heard of people being able to run Windows or Linux games on mac computers. I don't know enough about macs to know more than that, and that's really the issue. As a single developer with no knowledge of or access to macs, I just can't justify putting out a version for a platform I can't test on or support.
  • Fair enough, good luck with your game.