Forum rules - please read before posting.

Version 1.40 - Lip-syncing, scene transitions, better ActionList editor

Comments

• ok, i added a -1 parameter as a playerID in the add/remove calls and it seems to compile. but i'm not sure if it's what it's suppose to do
  • update: seems like there's a patch already for Dialogue system.
  • seems like somethign went wrong after the update. 

I have two scenes that i get some errors when the game changes between them.

i don't know if these has to do with the dialogue system or a bug in AC or something in my game

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AC.RuntimeInventory.MatchInteractionsFromItem (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 items, AC.InvItem _item) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Inventory/RuntimeInventory.cs:829)
    AC.RuntimeInventory.MatchInteractions () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Inventory/RuntimeInventory.cs:796)
    AC.MenuInventoryBox.PopulateList () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/MenuInventoryBox.cs:378)
    AC.MenuInventoryBox.RecalculateSize () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/MenuInventoryBox.cs:332)
    AC.PlayerMenus.ResetInventoryBoxes () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMenus.cs:1565)
    AC.RuntimeInventory.RemoveRecipes () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Inventory/RuntimeInventory.cs:741)
    AC.SaveSystem.OnLevelWasLoaded () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:386)

and then:
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    AC.RememberHotspot.StringToButtonStates (AC.Hotspot hotspot, System.String stateString) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/RememberHotspot.cs:119)
    AC.RememberHotspot.LoadData (AC.HotspotData data) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/RememberHotspot.cs:79)
    AC.LevelStorage.UnloadHotspotData (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 _hotspots) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/LevelStorage.cs:364)
    AC.LevelStorage.ReturnCurrentLevelData () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/LevelStorage.cs:66)
    AC.SceneSettings.Start () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/SceneSettings.cs:70)

the main chatersters

2. something is off with the way my charater and NPC are being scaled and moving with the sort map.  they are not too small (the character is a little too small, and the NPC is very small.)
    before the update (in 1.38c) i positioned them very nicely, and they were moving. 
    i have follow sortmap component on both the NPC/Player object and on their sprite object. (is this wrong?)

i am not sure what happened, and are these problems related, or maybe i just did something not correctly in 1.38c and now after the update somethign changed to make it appear badly.

i'll try and compare the component's values between the two versions.

• mhhhh, i've updated today, - amazing update! - but i encountered a few problems...

some of my actions seem to be timed slightly differently? some actions lag about 0.5-1.0 sec.... AC triggers react slower, etc....  did something change which could cause this?

after updating, some inventory items were linked (actions) incorrectly (but it only seemed to affect items with "spaces" in the name (a guess, i don't have enough inv items yet to be sure)

and the actioneditor has some display bugs on my workstation (selecting doesn't draw a proper rectangle)... selecting in the actionlistEditor is a painful process in general to be honest... would you consider adding a single click select (with ctl, shift for multiples)? 

• @David: That's certainly the aim for the Moveables system, but it's a rolling thing: like all systems, they'll improve as updates come out.

@SoundGuy and @deroesi: I'll be pushing an 'a' release out either tomorrow or early next week - the more detail I can get on bugs, and how to recreate them, the faster I can address them. If you're up for creating separate threads with screenshots, I'd appreciate it a lot.

• will do after my lunch break.
  • btw. thanks a lot for the sprite complex angle addition... but now ;) you've added this awesome looking lipsync support which only seems to work with the "standard" modes.. Is there a chance you could add something (int variable?) to support lipsync in sprite complex in the future?

• @derosi: There is: you can output the phoneme frame to a Mecanim variable.
  • great! ;) I must have overlooked it in the manual, sorry for the noise
  • Wow. Thanks for the rad and THOROUGH update, Chris!

I'm especially excited for this:
    • Added: "Camera: Switch" Action can now use a custom Animation Curve to control movement speed (supports overshooting)
  • "Removed: Ability to enable and disable Actions in the ActionList Editor window, as simple re-wiring can achieve the same effect"

was there a reason for this? with an improving actionlistEditor wouldn't make it sense to keep all options accessable from within the editor? The inspector editor can't handle (actionlistEditor changed) nodetrees well, so its almost a necessity to use the Editor often...

disabling is a very handy feature, re-wiring seems way less productive....
  • The Dialogue System for Unity has an update for AC v1.40. You can download it here. More info on the Integration with Dialogue System thread.
  • Some minor bugs reported - expect a 1.40a release out shortly.

@PixelArtist: Thanks, I've been finding it useful too.

@deroesi: It was removed to prevent the context menu from becoming cluttered, but disabling Actions in general isn't such a good practice now that I think about it - what should AC do when it comes upon one with many "out" sockets?  Re-wiring them is quick, and AC will always know exactly what you want the outcome to be.
  • Oh, man! Very stoked for lip syncing and overjoyed to learn it works with 2D! Also, very excited to see new tutorials - many thanks, Chris!
  • Version 1.40a:
    • Added: Input boxes are set be "right-to-left" if the current language name is named either "Hebrew" or "Arabic"
    • Fixed: Console errors when declaring Popup Variables
    • Fixed: Lag when running Check-based Actions
    • Fixed: Compatibility issues with Unity 5
    • Fixed: Compatibility issues with Android
    • Fixed: Various inventory issues with "Cycling Cursor And Clicking Hotspot" setting, when items are not set to be cycled through
    • Fixed: Issues related to RememberHotspot script when re-entering a scene mid-gameplay
    • Fixed: "New save" button overwriting old file if only one save file exists
    • Fixed: Node selection display errors on some platforms
  • You're the man!  :D
  • Just have to say, Chris, the ability to run cutscenes in-game using the Actions inspector is a huge timesaver. Thank you for that feature.
  • First off: Thanks for the Lip-Sync. This is huge and when I saw that I felt like this was a huge update. Then I kept reading the rest of the post... Holy cow! Nice work. Did you sleep at all between 1.39 and 1.40?? Nice job, seriously.
  • Very, very impressive work, Chris. Many thanks for your hard work!
  • "It was removed to prevent the context menu from becoming cluttered, but
    disabling Actions in general isn't such a good practice now that I think
    about it - what should AC do when it comes upon one with many "out"
    sockets?  Re-wiring them is quick, and AC will always know exactly what
    you want the outcome to be."

thats a fair point.... you'd have to forbid to disable those nodes, or disable the entire branch.... both possibilities don't look extremly attractive... so i think the best bet would be to improve the actioneditor on usablity.. at the moment its a little bit tedious to work in it.