Forum rules - please read before posting.

Integration with Dialogue System

Great news from Tony Li, the developer of Dialogue System.
He is working on integrating it with Adventure Creator, which of course would be a HUGE advantage for importing dialogue into the system (something our team has been in great need of).  The catch is Dialogue System would override AC's own dialogue.
But according to Tony, variables would be sync during conversation and AC actionlist/cutscene will be accessible from Dialogue System. 

Looking forward to it :)

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Oh man when I read this earlier I thought you meant Dialoguer by Tony Cocoluzzi ha. I got that one working now but it has the same issue, it doesn't respect AC's state, it just runs on top of it. But Dialoguer is nice, it has everything in one window instead of seperating actionlists and conversations out.
  • Have you tried Dialogue System?
  • BTW, the Dialogue System integration will be published later today. In addition to variables, it also syncs AC inventory so you can add and remove items from inside conversations. You can mix and match AC and Dialogue System conversations to a degree. The example scene starts with an AC speech, then switches to a Dialogue System conversation, then back to another AC speech.

If you haven't bought the Dialogue System yet, you may want to wait until the version being submitted today appears on the Asset Store. I'm lowering the price slightly to make it more accessible to indie developers on tight budgets.
  • Hey Tony,

Still waiting for it to show up in the Asset Store?
  • Which dialogue system is it? There seems to be a lot of them, also what is the price going to be? 
  • @Tony,
    I bought your system when the price went down because of Adventure Creator, Playmaker, and Plygame. Could you put up some for dummies tips on how to use DS with each of these? You might want to hold off on Plygame, he's about to release a new one.

• I made a new project AC 1.3 and Dialog System 1.22, imported the 3rd party support,
    the example scene. What am I supposed to see different? It looks just like the regular
    demo.
  • edited April 2014
    @terrymorgan
    The very first conversation, where you choose one of the Robot options, is ran through Dialogue System, not AC. 

• @beowulfkaine
    Is literally called "Dialogue System". 
  • Oh, I see it now. Has anyone made any quests in Dialog System, like 'get the item' and
    have it show up in Adv. Creator inventory? And then save and load the status of everything?
  • edited May 2014
    Heads-up: AC 1.32 breaks Dialogue System's AdventureCreatorBridge.cs script. This is because of the fact that RuntimeVariables.cs is now called GlobalVariables.cs (though you'll have to rename it manually).

I went to see if I could fix it manually, and I think I did.

I replaced all instances of RuntimeVariables with GlobalVariables, and all instances of:

GameObject.FindWithTag(Tags.persistentEngine).GetComponent<RuntimeVariables>().GetVarValue( or .SetVarValue(

with

GlobalVariables.GetStringValue( and .SetStringValue(

• It seems like this was not the only problem introduced during the upgrade (or perhaps I didn't notice until now?):

Dialogue System seems to be unable to turn off AC completely. During conversations the ingame menus pop up (indicating AC's state is not on AC.GameState.DialogueOptions but on AC.GameState.Normal) and the cursor label is also visible at times.
  • Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late response. I don't know how to set up email notifications for this forum. I'll check it more frequently now. 

I'll update the integration package and include it in the next version of the Dialogue System, which will be released tomorrow.

If time allows, I'll include a quest example.
  • Ah hey no problem man. the post is only a few hours old :) I look forward to the update; curious to see what else is coming.

p.s. if you click the star next to the topic title you should get email notifications of any new replies.
  • Thanks! I clicked the star, so hopefully I'll get email notifications from now on.

The Dialogue System for Unity v1.2.3 has been submitted to the Asset Store and is available for immediate download on the customer site. 

It's been updated to handle the global and local variable changes in Adventure Creator v1.32. If you notice any issues, please let me know and I'll fix them right away.

There's a new "Run Lua" action so you can run arbitrary Lua code in an AC action list.

I also added a small "Find a Sword" quest to the example scene. It starts active, with the quest tracker HUD showing the quest goal in the upper right of the screen. When the player picks up the sword (Sword_Use), a "Run Lua" action updates the quest.
  • Thanks, the latest version seems to work great.

Occasionally I get this error (was with the previous version too) which causes the cursor to disappear or the ingame menus to reappear. Can't really figure out where it's coming from:

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'GameObject' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    UnityEngine.GameObject.GetComponent[PlayerCursor] () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/EditorGenerated/UnityEngineGameObject.cs:28)
    PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.AdventureCreator.AdventureCreatorBridge.TakeCursorControl () (at Assets/Dialogue System/Third Party Support/Adventure Creator/Scripts/AdventureCreatorBridge.cs:108)
    PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.AdventureCreator.AdventureCreatorBridge.OnConversationStart (UnityEngine.Transform actor) (at Assets/Dialogue System/Third Party Support/Adventure Creator/Scripts/AdventureCreatorBridge.cs:66)
    UnityEngine.GameObject:BroadcastMessage(String, Object, SendMessageOptions)
    PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueSystemController:StartConversation(String, Transform, Transform)
    PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueManager:StartConversation(String, Transform, Transform)
    ActionDialogueSystemConversation:Run() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Actions/ActionDialogueSystemConversation.cs:52)
    AC.<RunAction>c__Iterator1:MoveNext() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:147)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(String, Object)
    AC.ActionList:ProcessAction(Int32) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:127)
    AC.<RunAction>c__Iterator1:MoveNext() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:176)

• I'll look into this today. Are there any situations where it most commonly happens?
  • Thanks! It pretty much always happens that the cursor disappears when I run an AC cutscene (blank node, in sequence is says AC(cutscene name, nowait) ). And often when the Responses UI comes up for the first time it flickers for a second and then the ingame menus turn on.
  • Good info. Thanks. I'll focus on this and let you know what I find.
  • edited May 2014
    I'm updating the bridge script to work more smoothly with AC. I'll try to post a patch tomorrow.

Quick question -- On your bridge script, is "Turn Off Adventure Creator" ticked or unticked?