Forum rules - please read before posting.

Version 1.47 - Scripting guide, tint maps, new movement options

2»

Comments

• @carlosrovira: What do you mean, exactly?  Is there an example you could give?
  • Hi Chris,

create "generalized" items in AC using the provided tools (ActionLists, ConstantIDs,...) is somehow dificult. I see AC works pretty well building scene specific logic. but I'm looking more for building prefabs that encapsulate all the logic to make it reusable.

For example. If I would want to make "key" prefab item to reuse "throwing to the scene" instances (so I could have multiple "key items" in a single scene). We should have as well a "door" prefab that encapsulated as well the hotspot or trigger and the mesh and attach the action list.

But Action list can't live in the prefab and it's not a matter of throw to the scene workflow. You then must configure in the scene configuring the action list and the parameters so the items behaves as expected.

I would love to have real abstracted items that could be programmed in a prefab and then could be used without the need of further configuration.

• Hi Chris,

just to simplify what I want to express. I would want to have a generic "key Object" that would open "doors" without the need to assign a concrete key to a concrete door, without hotspot or trigger configurations. Just program the prefabs and populate the scene throwing the object to it.

So the player could pick up the object and use it in other object since the later one expect objects of this kind.

That would make possible a kind of adventures with scenes more dynamic with puzzles where you can take several objects of a type (AC support this already) and could be used in triggers/hotspots that depends on "have the right object" and at least have one in your inventory...

For example FSMs in Playmaker seems to be more generalist and can be programmed and used all the time. For example if you make a "coin" object with a FSM you could sandbox all the behavior and then reuse the prefab with the FSM without the need to configure in the scene throwing instances in the scene in some textbox in the unity interface for the object.

Hope this two responses could throw some light about what I think should make AC more powerful. Maybe this could be for a 2.0 release? :)

Thanks Chris for reading and listening.
  • ^ I've been thinking about the same thing. In my game, I have a physics-based puzzle where the player drops a marble into a maze-like arrangement of colliders, and must rotate a number of paddles inside the maze to ensure that the marble gets to its goal. While making this, I thought that the logical approach would be to create a single paddle object that can be replicated (let's say I need five of these in the maze), but as it turns out that's not possible: a single prefab for the mesh and materials can (and should) be used, but the action lists that handle the interaction and rotation have to be manually created for each paddle.

I agree that having this functionality would be useful. I'd even argue that it's definitely something that would make sense in a utility like Adventure Creator, but something like this does venture into "scope creep" territory, especially given how AC is designed to play well with PlayMaker. I don't own PlayMaker yet, but I intend to buy it during development of my game, especially as I start to design more puzzles. I think it's fair to rely on AC for the core adventure game stuff, and use other plugins/assets for the specifics.

In a nutshell: I'd love to see a feature like this added, but I'd understand if Chris declined.
  • edited August 2015
    This is a very great news, Thank you so much!
    I've got some issue but I resolved most of them (player switch lost gravity when I use a load scene, etc.).

One last issue: When I switch to a new scene, actionlist-skippable doesn't work. (no problem with 1.46g). It's only when my player move to a new scene. In fact it's skip the actionlist, but it's like "pause-gameplay" stay on. Cursor does'nt appear, etc.
    Any solution?
    EDIT: Ok, it does'nt work only when music plays across scenes. But it's not a great solution at all, any idea?
  • Version v1.47a is out, and fixes a fair few issues:
    • Added: Ability to rename the display label of the game’s original language
    • Added: Ability to edit translation text directly within the Speech Manager
    • Changed: Sorting Maps will no longer correct their rotation if changed, in case the rotation was intentional
    • Fixed: Hotspot interactions occasionally not running if the Interaction Menu is set to pause the game when enabled
    • Fixed: Speech being unskippable if the mouse is over a Menu at the time
    • Fixed: Error when loading a saved game that includes a Container with no items
    • Fixed: Active Hotspot not de-selecting if “Engine: Manage systems” Action is used to disabled the Interaction system
    • Fixed: Hotspot Menus not displaying when hovering over Inventory Menus that pause the game
    • Fixed: Various issues related to expression tokens in speech text
    • Fixed: UFPS players not facing the correct direction after loading a saved game
    • Fixed: MainCamera not being properly disabled when a UFPS camera is active
    • Fixed: Error when calling KickStarter.TurnOffAC () from an ActionList asset file
    • Fixed: Error when using Curved Tracks in Unity 5
    • Fixed: Rare errors when re-ordering inventory items after changing scene
    • Fixed: GameCameras not snapping to their correct position when cut to instantly

@RedCityNoise: Please post in a new thread with details / steps to recreate the issue.

• A couple of unfortunate bugs have forced an early v1.47b release.  However, it's safe to ignore it if you don't use UFPS or drag/drop inventory:
    • Fixed: Critical issue involving UFPS player rotation
    • Fixed: Rare issue when using a drag and drop Inventory interface
  • edited August 2015
    The camera rotation bug with UFPS still seems to be there after updating for me.
  • Great work as usual Chris!
  • edited August 2015
    Had a problem with my player not adapting the scene's tint map when I changed scenes (because the game object exists across scenes and ResetTintMap is only called in Awake and LoadData). Solved it by adding this to the FollowTintMap script:

protected void OnBecameVisible ()
    {

ResetTintMap ();
    }

See Unity execution order for more details, if you're dealing with the same problem: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExecutionOrder.html
  • Thanks for the tip, @mrcsbmr.
  • edited September 2015
    Hi there! I just upgraded to Unity 5.2.0f3 (Windows 7 64 bit) and quickly tested my current 2D game:
    1. At the start, the following appears in the Console (seems to only occur on Windows):
      Screen position out of view frustum (screen pos 0.000000, 0.000000, 1000.000000) (Camera rect 0 0 0 0)
      UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    2. "Overlay current Screen" is broken now, the camera jumps weirdly before the scene changes
    3. The labels of some menus (Subtitles) are kinda "blurred" now. The thick outlines are sometimes broken, and even normal fonts appear blurred. 
    Everything else worked fine in my first smoketest. 
  • edited September 2015
    "Unity 5.2.0f3"

@humaldo, That's newer than the last AC version compatibility is at. You can keep different versions of Unity installed if you want to do something else in a newer one, but I wouldn't port an AC project to a newer version before AC is updated.
  • edited September 2015
    @humaldo:
    1. At the start, the following appears in the Console (seems to only occur on Windows):
      Screen position out of view frustum (screen pos 0.000000, 0.000000, 1000.000000) (Camera rect 0 0 0 0) UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Anything wrong with the actual game, or does it make no difference otherwise?

1. "Overlay current Screen" is broken now, the camera jumps weirdly before the scene changes

This appears to be a bug with 5.2, in which Unity includes the border of the Game window when it shouldn't do.  I can only recreate this bug in the Editor - builds appear to be OK.

1. The labels of some menus (Subtitles) are kinda "blurred" now. The thick outlines are sometimes broken, and even normal fonts appear blurred. 

Unity have said they've changed the way text is rendered (see here). You can try changing your font's import settings to remove the smoothing effect.

• edited September 2015
    @ Screen position out of view frustum:
    It also happens when I start up your 2D Demo Scene. But the warning seems to be only shown when the Scene Window is set to "2D", in 3D Mode, no warning appears.

@ Overlay current screen:
    You're right, in the build it is ok. 

@ blurry text:
    I tried out different things in the import settings, but the the problem didn't change. 
    This are my current font import settings: "Font size: 16" "Rendering Mode: Hinted Raster" "Character: Dynamic" "Incl. Font Data: checked". Textsize in the menu is 2.6 and the DrawTextOutline in AdvGame.cs hickness is 2,5f.
  • @ Screen position out of view frustum:
    It will take me some time to replicate this on a Windows machine.  But again: are there any problems with the actual game, beside the Console error?

@ blurry text:
    I don't know what else to suggest.  As I said: Unity have changed the way that text is fundamentally displayed.  I was, however, able to remove smoothing by changing the Rendering Mode to OS Default, though that may only work well for OSX.

• You might want to look at Text Mesh Pro or Typogenic (that one is free, but not sure if that's fully 5.0 compatible) if you want super high font quality. You would have to figure out your own way to integrate them and I have no idea how easy or tricky it would be.
  • @ Screen position: No problems so far, just the message.
    @ blurry: Will keep on playing around with OS Default
    thx!