Forum rules - please read before posting.

Random conversation option - is it possible?

Unity Ver: 2019.2.4f1
AC Ver: 1.71.3

Hello!

Is there a way to have a conversation option be random? In the sense of each time the conversation is displayed, the last choice would be random?

P

Comments

• In what way? The same option with different label, or chosen at random from a selection of separate options? And only the last option?

It's possible to modify which dialogue options are enabled through script, so you could randomly choose an option from a given set of indices. Probably best to do this when the OnStartConversation event is called:

using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

public class RandomConvOption : MonoBehaviour
    {

public int[] randomOptionIDs;

private void OnEnable () { EventManager.OnStartConversation += OnStartConversation; }
        private void OnDisable () { EventManager.OnStartConversation -= OnStartConversation; }

private void OnStartConversation (Conversation conversation)
        {
            if (conversation == GetComponent <Conversation>() && randomOptionIDs.Length > 0)
            {
                int chosenIndex = Random.Range (0, randomOptionIDs.Length-1);
                int chosenID = randomOptionIDs[chosenIndex];

foreach (int optionID in randomOptionIDs)
                {
                    ButtonDialog option = conversation.GetOptionWithID (optionID);
                    option.isOn = (option.ID == chosenID);
                }
            }
        }

}

• Hey Chris,

Yeah, so my desire is to have this conversation option change every time the conversation is displayed. It would be a pool of options and each time it chooses one.

Is there any facility to do this within Action Lists or is it definitely a code job?

Thanks!

• So, the label only. Not the result of clicking it?

It's a code job if randomness is involved, but you can change the label of an option easily enough:

option.label = "My new label";

If you want it to literally be a random option (i.e. both label and result different), you'll need to define all available options in the Conversation itself and use/adapt the code earlier.

• @ChrisIceBox Thanks so much! I've got this working with the code snippet above and attaching it to the conversation gameobject. Took me a while just to understand the flow and logic of it but got there!

Also this way of setting a bool is brilliant;

option.isOn = (option.ID == chosenID);

Just isn't a structure I've ever used. Love it.