Forum rules - please read before posting.

"Blindspots" in hotspots?

edited June 2020 in Technical Q&A

Hi, I can't seem to figure this out. My character is viewing the 3d room through a constrained "Gamecamera" and there are hotspots on objects around the room. For three of the objects (two doors and a chair) mousing over certain parts of the objects (ie their hotspots) do not show the hotspot name or register clicks even though the actual hotspot encompasses the objects completely.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• edited June 2020

Welcome to the community, @incommunicado.

This kind of behaviour can most usually happen due to one of two reasons:

1. The Hotspot is further from the camera than the "Hotspot ray length" in the Settings Manager, which determines how far the Hotspot detection raycasts can fire.
    2. There is another Collider on the Default layer in between the Hotspot and the camera, blocking it.

No. 2 Is the more common cause. Non-Hotspot colliders on the Default layer are useful as they can prevent Hotspots being clickable through e.g. walls, but care must be taken to make sure they don't block Hotspots by accident. Have a look at the area around the Hotspots, or enable Gizmos in the Game window, to see if there are any colliders that may be in the way.

• Cool. I put an object (a bed on which the camera was propped up) in the "Ignore Raycast" layer and it now works.

Thank you for the prompt response.

P.S: AC is awesome. It's extraordinarily powerful.