Forum rules - please read before posting.

Best practice for long dialogues

My dialogue with an NPC becomes more and more complex... Are there any best practices? Because I noticed that when I zoom out to get an overview of everything that Unity becomes pretty slow and working in such huge dialogue actionlists makes really not fun as I am most of the time searching and scrolling and then when you finally found the part you want to edit then you want to connect it to the start then I have to drag the node all the way up to the beginning... is there any faster way?

Comments

• the best practice generally depends on the game system; but most of it will use dividing the dialogues into separate actionlists

• I can't really tell what Actions you're dealing with from this, but if this is long because of a Conversation, you have the option of separating each dialogue option's "response" into a separate ActionList.

The 3D Demo's "Brain: Talk" Interaction processes the "BrainConv" Conversation in this way.

If you're dealing with a long chain of Actions, you can indeed break them up into smaller ActionLists. But also know that Timeline is an option, since AC's Speech track lets you trigger AC dialogue as part of a Unity Timeline. Such workflow is covered in this video.

• Ok thank you @cemleme @ChrisIceBox I will put the responses now into separate ActionLists.

@ChrisIceBox Thanks for remembering to me Unity Timeline! I think this will help me a lot in the upcoming dialogues as I want to give the player a feeling of watching (an interactive) movie when he starts a dialogue with an NPC.

I did this intro without Unity Timeline and the complete intro actionlist became as long as the one i posted above.

By the way I am a bloody beginner. I am using unity and AC for only 8 weeks. I have never created a game so far.

This is how the whole player start area looks like:

A lot of cameras... Any advice about that if there is a huge number of cameras in a scene? Are there actually any performance issues if there are too many cams?

• Similar to Cinemachine VirtualCameras, AC GameCameras don't actually perform any rendering - their Camera components are disabled at runtime - so having many of them isn't as big an issue as you might think.

In Timeline, though, you could create a special "CutsceneCamera" that is the only one used by the MainCamera track - and then animate that, cuts included, so that you only rely on one camera for your sequence.