Forum rules - please read before posting.

WalkingDeadUI WD_InteractionUI

Hi Guys, Does anyone use the WalkingDeadUI?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what should happen here...

Under the inventory properties, (using WalkingDean_menuManager) - interaction>Inventory
There is an option for showing 'max number of slots' and 'only show items reference in interactions?'.

What should it look like if you have multiple items in your inventory, and the hotspot has interactions for multiple items?

At the moment the UI only shows 1 item with no option to 'scroll'.

The options suggest that the UI should either change to show multiple inventory items or have some form of scrolling?

If there is the documentation for this somewhere (couldn't find it myself) that would be great.

Thanks,
Dan.

Comments

• The interface is only designed to only display one item interaction per Hotspot - via the InteractionBox element at the top of the "interaction ring". A list of multiple items is available to the side for display only.

This is how I remember the original Walking Dead game's interface to be - IIRC they made sure to keep the number of possible inventory interactions / held items to a minimum to allow for a more simplified interface.

But of course, it's only a tempate and can be changed however you need it to be.

How do you want it to behave? You can increase the number of slots, and map those slots to new UI Buttons - or add "scroll" buttons either side of it that shift a single slot through multiple items. If you can elaborate on what behaviour you'd like, I can give more advice on how to go about extending the template.

• Hi @ChrisIceBox, first off great tool(s) you've built! Thanks.

I had in mind giving items a few attributes (say colour(RGB), weight(INT), wearable(bool), consumable(bool)...

This would then allow puzzles like...
    Feed a dragon to gain passage, and rather than setting out a bunch of acceptable items I could just allow the player to feed any consumable to the dragon, maybe track the weight and once the weight of the combined consumables reaches 'x' it is sufficient.

Or say the classic Indiana Jones how much does the golden idol weigh, again rather than prescribing a specific item, let the player guess the weight.

So yes, I think having the top icon slot with arrows either side to switch between a sub-selection of inventory items is exactly what I'm aiming for.

That would give a nice balance between avoiding 'try every item in my inventory' and 'does actually require some thinking'. :)

Thanks!

• I think having the top icon slot with arrows either side to switch between a sub-selection of inventory items is exactly what I'm aiming for.

This can be done by adding a couple of new Button elements to the menu, and setting both their Click type properties to Offset Element Slot, and filling in the rest of the fields to have one shift the InventoryBox element left, and another to shift it right.

The default Inventory menu (as used by the 3D Demo, not the Walking Dead interface) also uses this to support scrolling.

I had in mind giving items a few attributes (say colour(RGB), weight(INT), wearable(bool), consumable(bool)...

The Inventory Manager's Properties tab lets you define attributes that can be assigned to items.

It's possible to use the Inventory: Property to Variable Action to transfer an item's property value to a variable that can then be checked using the Variable: Check Action, or used to update another variable with Variable: Set.

When it comes to Hotspot interactions, it's best to rely on parameters to determine which Inventory item you're dealing with. See this tutorial for more on this topic, but if a Hotspot Interaction has an Inventory Item parameter defined, then that can be set automatically to the item that was used on the Hotspot - and this parameter can then be used to override the Inventory: Property to Variable Action's Inventory item field.

• Thanks Chris, I don't get a lot of time to work on the game but I'll look into all of the above.

• Okay got the inventory next/previous item working (not setting a sub-selection yet).

Got sidetracked by sounds - I was setting the hover sound/Click Sound on the UI buttons as a way of debugging to make sure the button was picking up mouse clicks.
    But Hover/Click sound doesn't appear to function correctly. The first time you hover over a button you hear the sound but after that - nothing. You can exit/enter or hover over another item, close and reopen the UI, highlight a different object.

nothing seems to trigger another sound after the first.
    (scene has Default sound (added via AC editor)).

I scouted the forum for suggestions but these mostly are about 'default sound' and that isn't the issue here...

No messages in the console... I am stumped.

• What are your AC and Unity versions?

Which element has the "hover sound" issue, and is the menu set to pause the game? If so, make sure that your Default Sound has Play while game paused? checked in its Inspector.

Otherwise, best to see some screens of the menu and element properties so that we can see the exact setup.

• Thanks Chris - I'll have a look next time I get a spare moment. Much appreciated.

• edited August 2020

I removed the hover over sound, and left the 'click sounds' just so there was 1 less thing to worry about.

Seems like when clicking any buttons in the WalkdingDead UI causes the volume in 'Default Sound' to be adjusted.
    When clicking the Look and USE button it causes the Volume to be set to 9.809089e-45 (starting from 1).
    Although on 1 occasion it set the volume to 0, can't reproduce.

Unity 2019.4.0f1
    AC v1.71.8

will upload screens shortly
    https://blokland.co.uk/wp/wdui/
    https://blokland.co.uk/wp/defaultsound/
    https://blokland.co.uk/wp/look/
    https://blokland.co.uk/wp/menuproperties/
    https://blokland.co.uk/wp/use/

• The AudioSource component's volume will be updated, when sound is played, to match your SFX volume, as set in your Options data.

You can open up the Save File Manager by clicking the Manage save-game files button near the top of the Settings Manager to view your active profile's SFX volume. What is it currently set to?

• Save Game Manager:
    Lable Profile 1
    id 0
    language 0
    Show subtitles True
    SFX Vol 0
    Music 0
    Speech 0

Although in settings Tab Default options for Speech etc are set to 1.

If anyone else has the same problem -
    AC settings tab.
    Scroll to the bottom for Speech/Music/SFX default setting. Set = 1

Then delete the current save-game profile
    Manage save-game files (AC settings near the top.)

Play the game and a new profile is created now with sounds set to 1.

Thanks Chris.