Forum rules - please read before posting.

Duplicating a scene

Cheers everyone!
Is it possible to duplicate a scene, and then make alterations to this duplicated scene without it affecting the original one? I'm making a game, where the player returns to the first scene of the game after completion, and I'd want to create variation in the scene. I know I could probably get this done by using variables, but I was just wondering, that is it possible to just duplicate the scene and make it different from the original. Are there any potential downsides to this? My main concern are local variables, so does this method have some kind of effect on them?
Thanks in advance for replies :)

Comments

• As in, duplicating the scene file itself?

Either method would be viable - it depends on how much you want to change, I suppose.

Modifying a duplicated scene won't affect the original, unless they both rely on the same prefabs and you end up making changes to the originals - but that's less to do with AC and more to do with Unity practices and workflow.

Though, you probably would want to prefab as much as you can, so that if you want to tweak e.g. the NavMesh or object placement, you can do so in the prefab to affect both.

In the case of any game logic you want shared between both scenes, you can switch to ActionList assets to have them run in either.