Forum rules - please read before posting.

Adventure Creator - but so much more.

Hi all,

I'm a recent purchaser of AC and so far I love it!!!

I've been assessing various "templates" and creator type assets on the Unity store, simply because my previous attempts at making games have failed due to me wanting to start from scratch and do everything myself, I like to get my hands dirty. I finally realised this process was fun but produced nothing. Leading me to look for templates, helpers or creators that could help. My only requirement was that it be open and extensible, if I'm to invest time and money into something, it needs to have the capacity to meet my game requirements for future projects.

Anyway, I saw AC but immediately dismissed it because my current game idea is not strictly and Adventure game. I then stumbled across Game Creator, it seemed to be generic and extensible so I purchased it and was impressed It has some great features and a very active community. However, as soon as I started getting into the guts of the game I found that I was hamstrung at several points. Disconcerted and somewhat discombobulated by my ordeal, I started my trek through the Asset Store again.

I once again came across AC, this time I noticed the number of and indeed the overall rating of AC, so I had a click and read through, more out of curiosity than anything else. This is when I kept seeing the same line 'or code your own' and the number of libraries it integrates with. My interest was gained, I downloaded the manual and read through, the amount of included features, the ability to extend pretty much every aspect, the number of quality assets that have integrations with it, the involvement that Chris has on the forums and really great videos on Youtube. I was sold, so purchase I did!

I've owned AC for a couple of days having acquainted myself with the interface, and experimented with several different types of game features that don't necessarily fall into the Adventure genre. I have not found anything that would stop me from creating most types of game with AC, the ever-present 'gun go bang' FPS game would be possible with a little bit of coding.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to say that I love AC already, it will definitely speed up the process of making my game. My only suggestion would be that 'Adventure' does limit potential buyers. When I saw this I was turned away, what if I don't want to make just adventure games? The point is you don't have to, AC is that flexible that you can make anything.

Comments

• edited September 2020

Welcome to the community, @monotonic, and thank you for the kind words!

When it comes to advertising, the focus has to be on what is possible out-of-the-box, but certainly more is possible with a little know-how. I'd be interested to see what you come up with!