Forum rules - please read before posting.

Character Move to point and copy marker angle without waiting until finished

Hi,

In an ActionList , I need the character to move to a point (marker), and when he reached he should copy the marker angle, but I don't want that this move action will wait until finished.

How can it be done?
Why is the "Copy marker angle after" depends on "Wait until finished"? shouldn't it be independent?

Thanks,
Shayk

p.s.
(I read the code and found that the move to marker actually create a nav path, and the OnCharacterReachNode event enable to detect when the character has reached a node in the path, or OnCharacterEndPath signals the path end. But the marker information is not passed on to these events.
suggestion: Maybe OnCharacterEndPath can include the marker information (if there was one)?)

Comments

• edited September 2020

Even with Wait until finish? checked, you can still have other Actions run during this time by preceding it with the ActionList: Run in parallel Action.

For what reason are you looking to have this option unchecked? If you can elaborate on the situation, I can see if an alternative approach is possible.

• Yes, I use the Run in parallel and I actually considered deleting/canceling my post because the question wasn't good enough for my needs...

The situation is:
    I need to create a cutscene with 2 characters walking around (from point to point) and talking.

simple example:
    char1 start at char1_Marker1
    char2 start at char2_Marker1
    I need char1 to reach char1_Marker2 and char2 to reach char2_Marker2 (with copy marker angles)
    Only when both reached their markers I continue the flow of the actionList.

I want it to be simple and flexible (I don't know who reach first, may be obstacles in their way)

my current (cumbersome) solution:

RunInParallel:
    a. char1 - set a bool actionListParameter to false -> move to marker+wait until finished -> set bool actionListParameter to true
    b. char2 - move to marker+wait until finish -> check char1 bool? if false: wait 1 sec -> check again , if true: continue the actionList flow

I have many points in my route and on top of that I have dialogues that remain until user pressed a key, so I use the same mechanism to check whether the dialogue finished during a part of the route, if not, position the chars to face each other to finish the conversation,else position them in that position markers angles, only then continue to next position.

So, my actionList is very messy..
    (At first I thought that moveToPoint (with copy angle ,without wait) will simplify things, but Im not sure)

Any advice?

thanks,
    Shayk

• If there weren't potential obstacles in the way, I'd say it might be worth relying on Timeline, since you can use that to trigger AC speech at the same time that Animation tracks move the characters.

But if things are more dynamic, this might be a good fit for the rarely-mentioned ActionList: Wait for preceding Action.

This Action will only continue on once all Actions that come before it have been completed. Certainly in the case of having two characters reach their respective Markers before continuing, this Action would be the way to go.

• Wow, the "Wait For Preceding" is the exact fit for my need :smiley: thanks a lot!!!
    (your creation, Adventure Creator, is so smart and flexible, it thrills me)

About the timeline, I do want to use it, but can it work with "Display subtitles forever until user skips it?" ? can it use condition like: if dialogue completed (or a variable is true) move to pos1 else move to pos2?

• Speech tracks have the option to display for the same duration that they would if triggered via an Action, but the Timeline itself will continue on without waiting for anything.

If you wanted to delay a Timeline, or use conditions to determine its playback, you'd need to break things up into separate Timeline sequences - and then use multiple Engine: Control Timeline Actions to handle playback.