Forum rules - please read before posting.

Cursor during pause gameplay cutscene

edited October 2020 in Technical Q&A

Before the most recent update, whenever a cutscene that paused gameplay was running, the cursor would disappear from the screen. This is the behaviour I wanted. Since the update, the cursor is always displayed. Is there a way to change this without adding an action to disable the cursor to every single cutscene I have already created? Note that I don't want the cursor to be disabled when the game is paused, only when it is paused while a gameplay-blocking cutscene is currently running.

Edit: the reason I need the cursor to behave this way is that I use a lot of camera crossfades to hide/show 2d environment objects. For example, I have one camera that displays a house without the outer walls, and another that displays those walls. When the player clicks to enter the door, I have a 1-second gameplay-blocking cutscene to crossfade between cameras. The problem here is that the cursor is rendered inside the scene rather than sitting on top of it, so if the player moves the mouse during a crossfade, the original mouse cursor slowly fades away while the cursor in the new position fades in. If you are able to exclude the cursor from the crossfade, then it is fine (and even better) that the cursor is displayed during gameplay-blocking cutscenes by default.

Comments

• What version were you previously using? v1.72.0 shouldn't have made such a change to the cutscene cursor state.

Please share screenshots of your Cursor Manager - I'll attempt a recreation.

• Current version is 1.72.0, and the previous version was 1.71.8, but I found the issue! On updating, the Cutscene cursor (whose texture used to be None) seems to have inherited all the settings from the main cursor. No idea why, I never touched it.

It'd still be cool for the cursor not to be included in the crossfading if it is a simple change, but I can definitely live with this as is.

• Odd - data shouldn't have transferred like that, but the import process is handled by Unity.

The crossfading effect works by taking a screenshot of the game. Relying on hardware rendering for your cursor should keep it out of such screenshots.

• edited October 2020

Hey Chris, I have another question about this. Is it possible to render the camera attached to the main camera into a texture, and then use it for the crossfade effect when you attach a second camera to the main camera? And would it possible to keep updating the texture every frame, so that the image fading away isn't static?

Relying on hardware rendering works for the cursor, but I still have to be very careful about every other movement on screen. Allowing the image that fades away to move would enable a lot of cool transitions.

• At the moment, you'd have to rely on a custom script to create a "live" crossfade effect, but it's something I'd like to consider in the future.