Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to disable Inventory from turning off when 'look at' inventory item

Hi,

I'm using AC 1.71.8 with Unity 2019.2.10f1

At the moment I have an inventory that is always on display at the top of the screen.
It's split into IDEAS and THINGS - see image (https://imgur.com/dzspUvq

Whwn the player looks at an item, this runs as a cutscene and the menus turn off.
This is a bit distracting as the object under discussion disappears from view.

Is there a simple way to stop this from happening?

Thanks!

Comments

• It depends on your Menu's Appear type property is set to.

If it's set to During Gameplay, then it will turn off when entering a cutscene.

In this case, you can either prevent the item's "Examine" ActionList from blocking gameplay by changing its When running property to Run In Background - or change the Appear type to something else e.g. Except When Paused.

• edited October 2020

Ah! Except when paused sounds like just the ticket. Thanks. I will have a fiddle around with that.

• Hahumm. Well, this is proving a bit more tricky for me than I thought.

My problem is this - I want the inventory to be turned OFF during cutscenes, but ON during inventory interactions. And sometimes I want to turn the Inventory ON to show that an item has been added to the Inventory during a cutscene.

To achieve this I switched the Appear type to Except When Paused, thinking that I could then manually turn the Inventory menu OFF and ON during cutscenes, but Menu - Turn Off Menu doesn't seem to override the Except When Paused option or the During Gameplay option.

If I do it the other way around, and set my "Examine" Action lists to Run in Background then there are other moments when I want to turn the Inventory ON during cutscenes to show that an item has been added to the inventory, which I also can't do because it doesn't appear to override the default state of being OFF during cutscenes.

Is there a way to get around this?

• Unless you set the Appear type to Manual, then the menu will turn on/off automatically based on the condition you set.

However, if a menu is locked, it will not turn on even when this condition is met. This can also be done with the Menu: Change state Action.

• edited October 2020

Great, thanks. That last tip is very useful.

Using Menu: Change state - Lock with Appear type: Except when paused means that now the Inventory stays open when the player examines items and I only have to lock it during cutscenes, which seems like a better work flow than having to constantly toggle it ON and OFF, as I would have to do with Appear type: Manual.

I made seperate Action List assetts to handle turning the Inventory ON and OFF during each cutscene to speed things up further.

As a new developer sometimes mastering all of these little details seems to be an endless process!
    Step by step, progress appears to be being made...