Forum rules - please read before posting.

Choose voice actor at game start - Character Switching, or is there a better way?

At the start of our game the player can choose between two voice actors for the player's dialogue. My first intention was to make use of the "player lines have separate audio for each player" and character switching. In this selection screen, this choice of actor initiates the one and only character switch of the game, to one of two characters, otherwise identical save the voice actor.

As I begin to implement this feature, I'm wondering if there's a simpler way to set this up - perhaps as a variable on the player, removing the need for character switching entirely... Has anyone tried anything like this with their projects? Is there a more elegant way of achieving the same effect without the added complexity of character switching?

Any hints, tips and wisdom greatly appreciated.

-M-

Comments

• Are these two characters speaking the same dialogue, and is the character that isn't chosen effectively removed from the game?

If so, I don't see much complexity involved beyond switching to the right player for the first time once the user has made a choice.

Each line of dialogue has one audio file associated with it per-language, so to rely on one character would mean creating a separate instance of a line for each voice actor, and then using a variable in your ActionLists to determine which one to play. Seems easier to just rely on player-switching, unless I'm missing something.

• Thanks Chris - it's so you can choose between a masculine or feminine protagonist at the beginning of the game, and all their lines are the same. Gonna get on setting this up today, thanks again!