Forum rules - please read before posting.

Container behaviour

My regular inventory menu is configured to left click to select an item, and right click to run its examine actionlist. I also have a separate "appear on hotspot" menu with a single hotspot text label, which displays the item name on mouseover ("Pen") and also the interaction when there is a valid one ("Use pen on notebook").

I'm trying to get my container menu to work exactly like this, almost like an extension to the regular inventory. Left clicking on an item should simply select it (not move it to inventory), and the mouseover and interaction behaviour should be exactly the same as well. I can get halfway there by selecting a "select item only" click behaviour, but nothing happens on mouseover, and all interactions are blocked as well (I can't right click to examine, nor use one item on another).

I thought the current functionality was intended to be provided by the checkbox "Prevent interactions?", but mine is unchecked and yet the interactions are still prevented. Is this a bug, or is this a job for a custom script?

Comments

• Container items aren't intended to be interacted with in the same way - but I can see how this would be desirable

The exact behaviour of inventory clicking will depend on the element's properties, as well as your Settings Manager's Interface and Inventory settings. Could you share screens of those three so that I can attempt a recreation? AC and Unity version number as well, please.

• edited November 2020

Unity 2019.4.9f1
    AC 1.72.4

It's supposed to be a very simple and "physical" UI - the container interface looks like an actual box, and you can move the items to any of the (invisible) slots within it. And you take the items by left clicking them and actually bringing them into your inventory. Right clicking might trigger a dialogue line or open a different menu (if the item you right clicked is a book, for example).

The reason I need these interactions to happen within the container is that the inventory space is very limited, and I want to encourage the player to interact with things without stealing/hoarding everything.

• I see, thanks for the details.

Leave with this me for the moment - I'll see what I can turn up.

• Recreated.

So the "Prevent interactions?" checkbox currently has no effect for Container elements - but it's reasonable to assume they would. I'll address this in the next update.

• Thanks, Chris! You're a lifesaver.

• edited December 2020

Hi again, Chris. On a similar subject, I see that when the player reorders the items in a container, they keep their slots positions - which is good! But is there a way to easily set up a container so that it will hold an item in (for example) slot #3 from the start, while keeping the previous slots empty? In the screenshot above, you can see a notebook and a torch in the first two slots, but it would be cool to have them spaced out in the box when the player first opens it.

• Not currently without scripting, but it's an interesting idea. I'll have a think about it.