Forum rules - please read before posting.

Difference between working with Cutscenes and Interaction after you click on an hotspot?

edited November 2020 in Engine development

Hi, I'm new to AC, and have a question.

What is the difference between working with Cutscenes and Interaction after you click on a hotspot. Assuming I want both to start a conversation? It seems like both editors are the same, so I'm curious which to choose.

Basically, my question boils down to: When do I choose the cutscene object and when the interaction object in my game?

Thanks.

Comments

• Oh and the dialogue object from the AC menu has also the same Actionlist editor with all the same options as Cutscene and Interaction has. So what is actually the difference between these 3?

• Cutscene do have a couple more properties, but there's not much difference otherwise - they're all fundamentally the same.

Only ActionLists of the type Interaction can be triggered directly from Hotspots, but any type of ActionList can be triggered with the ActionList: Run Action.

Cutscenes are typically best if you want to break up your lists to make them smaller / more manageable, or if you want them to be triggered in multiple ways (e.g. from both clicking a Hotspot, as well as when entering the scene). But if you're just dealing with the result of clicking a Hotspot, an Interaction is fine too.

DialogOption lists are only used when creating logic for Conversation options, but it's actually often easier to keep your response logic within the same ActionList by checking Override options? in the Dialogue: Start conversation Action. See this series of tutorials for a guided example.