Forum rules - please read before posting.

Corrupted Letterbox Bars on Mac Build

Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I've dabbled in AC, but I'm glad to have picked it up again!

I've got a project that I'm forcing to a 16:9 aspect ratio via Adventure Creator's "Force Aspect Ratio" setting (set currently to 1.77) and it appears to run perfectly on Windows machines as a standalone build.

However, I recently built a standalone version for Mac via my Windows machine and while it DOES work on my Intel-based Macbook Air, the letterboxing at the top and bottom of the screen displays some kind of repeating corrupted-looking texture that I can't seem to get rid of. What's doubly strange is that, in a bizarre example of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, trying to capture this issue using Mac's built-in Snapshot feature actually FIXES the problem while I record the game or take screenshots.

This is a screenshot of the game running on my Macbook Air using the snapshot tool. The letterboxes are black as normal: https://dropbox.com/s/m9k5kzhf2xo1bjd/Macbook%20Air%202020%20Screenshot.png

However, the moment the Snapshot tool closes, the letterboxes look like this: https://dropbox.com/s/vx65gq66s6oq3bb/Macbook%20Air%202020%20ingame%2001.jpg

I'm currently using AC version 1.72.4 on Unity version 2019.2.9f1 Personal, and my current resolution and AC settings can be seen here: https://dropbox.com/s/2iawp52om8wfwky/Project%20Settings.JPG

This is actually the first time I've gotten to a point in a project where I've needed to fiddle with resolution settings, so it's entirely possible I'm missing some meta setting somewhere in Unity, but the fact the build runs as expected in Windows alone (and Mac sometimes) has me thinking it could be some AC lever I'm not aware of.

Thanks!

Comments

• Welcome back, @tdcpresents!

That you have different behaviour between platforms - and when taking screenshots - makes me wonder if the issue is more to do with your OS version. AC's aspect-ratio handling is platform-dependent, so there shouldn't be any difference internally. What OS version is on your Macbook?

That said, try unchecking Render border camera? in your Settings Manager's "Camera settings panel". Does that improve matters?

• Hi @ChrisIceBox, thanks for the response!

I just tried a new Mac build with the "Render Border Camera" setting unchecked and unfortunately that doesn't seem to have improved the situation.

I'm currently running the most up-to-date MacOS version: Big Sur 11.1. This is a 2020 MacBook Air with an i5 (not the new M1). If there's any other information you or anyone else might need to help me chase this down, please let me know.

• I haven't encountered or heard of such an issue with earlier MacOS versions. I'd recommend testing in the latest version of Unity 2019 LTS, however.

It'd be worth testing URP, as well. As this relates to camera rendering, a different render pipeline may resolve it. Try creating a new project with a single AC test scene + aspect ratio, only using URP instead of the standard renderer.

• Thanks for the response, Chris! I'll try both of these out once our Windows build is all locked down and let you know if there are any improvements. Thanks!