Forum rules - please read before posting.

Unprompted player movement

Hi @ChrisIceBox -

I will preface this by saying this may not be an AC problem, but a Unity problem, but I wondered if you had any insight.

I am absolutely loving using AC to create my first person "music loop" puzzle game - thank you so much for your asset, and for your dedication to your user base, and helping us build our dreams!

I was working on my game late into last evening, creating large pieces of a new scene, and all was well as I saved and closed Unity as the sun came up. I reopened it today to a peculiar problem with my player controls - The moment I press play and a scene is running, the player walks diagonally forward/left. This is true in all of scenes in my game. If I turn (using the mouse to change what I'm viewing) the player continues to walk forward/left based on my new orientation. The strangest bit is that in trying to troubleshoot, I discovered that if I leave the game window (alt key, as employed in one of your tutorials), and interact with a unity button, such as clicking a tool in a tool bar, or clicking a folder in the asset window, the player stops moving unprompted, and I can return to the game window and move about as normal (keyboard wasd/mouse). If I click out of Unity (like to write in this forum as I describe this problem) and then return to the Unity game window which I had left running, the problem has returned. Again, this may not be an Adventure Creator problem, but as you have been very helpful (and patient) in the past, I thought it worth asking. Thank you for any insight you may have!

Comments

• Hard to say where the issue lies just yet. Is the character animating as well, or just sliding - as though being pushed?

I'm not clear on how the mouse is being used to change orientation. Is this due to the use of a "GameCamera Third Person" (the third-person camera type)? What's your game's "Movement method" set to? If you can share screenshots / detail of your exact setup (Player, Camera, Settings Manager), that'll help understand the situation better.

If it's set to Direct, then movement is based on input values determined by Unity's Input Manager - specifically Horizontal and Vertical. How many instances of these inputs are defined, and what are they mapped to?

By default, these are mapped to the arrow keys, but also a joystick thumbstick. Do you have any joystick plugged in that may be contributing?

It is also possible to move a Player character through simulated input, i.e. an on-screen joystick - but this is something you'd have to knowingly add.

Try building your game - does it occur there as well, or is this only occuring in the Editor?