Forum rules - please read before posting.

Phonemes requiring several shape keys

Good day everyone, I'm trying to use AC's lip syncing system to get some relatively accurate results on CC3 characters, but I'm facing a limitation : it seems that each frame added to the phonemes editor is meant to be linked to only a single blendshape. I tried adding the same phonemes on different frames with a different shape key for each, but the first instance overrode the others.
Let me give you an example : in order to pronounce the L or TH phonemes, my character needs to use the Tongue raise, tongue out and mouth open blendshapes, a total of 3. One of them may be linked to the first L/TH frame, but the others will be ignored ! Another thing that might be a problem is that the mouth open blenshape is necessary for several phonemes, and I'm afraid it might create some conflicts.
A solution would be to mix the blendshapes in Blender, but doing that for every phonemes on every characters would take some time !
I'm still experimenting right now, I'll come back if there's something new, but I'll gladly take any advice on this !

Comments

• edited January 2021

For something more complex than one-frame-per-shape, you'd want to rely on animation.

If you create each phoneme as a separate animation (by combining multiple Blendshapes in a single Animation Clip), then you can incorporate them into your character's Animator in a sub-layer.

If you then define an Integer parameter for your Animator named e.g. Phoneme, you can supply this into your Player/NPC Inspector's Phoneme integer field, which will then drive the parameter's value at runtime, based on their current active phoneme.

I should also mention that AC is compatible with LipSync Pro, which is a great lipsync tool for Unity, and does support blendshape-combining for individual phonemes.

• Thanks for your answer ! I think I'm going to try LipSync Pro. It was recently removed from the asset store though and will offer less support, but it still seems to be what I'm looking for !