Forum rules - please read before posting.

Two issues I'm having problems with

1. When I start my game, the sound of my player's footstep is immediately heard, only one time, without me prompting him to walk. How can I make this stop? I followed this tutorial: https://adventurecreator.org/tutorials/giving-character-footstep-sounds

2. When my character transitions to a new scene, I have no way of moving him. Do I have to go through the character wizard between every scene, or is there a simpler way of loading your character between scenes?

Thanks!

Comments

• Update: I wasn't able to make my character walk because I didn't have a default Navmesh selected in my scene settings. Simple fix. I'm still unsure about my issue with the footsteps though.

• When I start my game, the sound of my player's footstep is immediately heard, only one time, without me prompting him to walk.

The tutorial covers two ways to have audio be played - either automatically, or through use of animation events. Which are you using, and what are your AC/Unity versions?

If you can, please share screenshots of your Player's Inspector - both the root, as well as the object with the Footstep Sounds component.

• Thanks for the reply Chris. I ended up fixing the issue by deleting the sound file completely and re-assigning it as the footstep sound. I'm using the automatic method. Is there any benefit to using the animation event method instead?

• edited January 2021

It gives you precise control over when the sounds are played, as opposed to AC approximating it.

The Automatic method shouldn't give you such an issue, though. What's the difference with your character's setup now that it's working vs before? What are your AC/Unity versions, also?

• I'm not sure what's different honestly. All I did was delete the footstep WAV file from the asset files, reload it back into the asset files, then re-assign it as the sound for footsteps, and it worked. I'm thinking initially I must have somehow mistakenly had the sound designated to play at the scene start somehow. Also, I am using Unity 2019.4.17 and the latest version of AC.