Forum rules - please read before posting.

assigning a new managerpackage runtime

Hey!

Our game includes a series of small games which might require different managers. They are all in one adventure creator project. When, during the game, we switch from one game to another, is it safe to just assign the next game's managerpackage? ( ManagerPackage.AssignManagers() ) Or is there anything we should look out for? Thank you!

Comments

• I don't advise it, no. The state of a game (both "live", and when stored in save game files), heavily relies on the data set up in Manager assets, so swapping them out at runtime can have serious knock-on effects.

Which Manager(s) are you swapping out, and for what specific reason? If you can elaborate on the situation, I can see if I can suggest an alternative.

• We were planning to have seperate managers for each little game, so we can freely play around with settings ( because they can have different gameplay elements) So i was planning to have a managerpackage for each game, and replace all the managers when the next game begins.

(1 example where i had issues with just 1 manager is with the dialogue system, in one of the games we planned to have traditional dialogue where you have to skip by clicking, in another the dialogue(more like a narration) would stay on screen and you have to click a next button to get the next dialogue. and I tought maybe the cleaner solution is to just have different managers.)

I also tought about building the separate games in separate unity projects but wouldnt know how to combine them into 1 game in the end, so the player can choose from the small games from the main menu

• At least in that particular example, it would be better/safer to just change the Manager field values when necessary.

Any Manager field value can be changed through script - right-click the field's label to get an API reference to it.