Forum rules - please read before posting.

Changing name based off Hotspot

Hi I have a prefab with a door where I change the hotspot name to say Press [E] to open door which works as expected but my problem is when I duplicate it and I want the same thing how would I do this. I did work out that I could use the same ID number but it always changes during gameplay so the second door won't say Press [E] To Open it will only say the original name so I'm wondering how would you use this Press [E] To Open Door for a multiple of the same objects in the scene.

Comments

• Are you changing the names of your Hotspots in the Editor, or renaming them at runtime with the Hotspot: Rename Action?

I'm afraid I don't follow your steps - the ID number (Constant ID?) shouldn't affect your ability to rename a Hotspot. Can you share screenshots and more details to explain your process?

• With Hotspot: Rename it does work but it won't work with a duplicated prefab of the door because the Constant ID is different.

• edited January 2021

So I have this bedside table that has a drawer as well as a door. When I Hover over the door it says Open door dependant on a door-open bool and when I press an E the door opens then I hover over the door and it will say close door and it just toggles through that depending on if the door is open it will say close door. The drawer does the same which works not great.

But I don't want just 1 bedside table so I did this according to the logic tutorial to make it a prefab so I can duplicate it as many times as I need but the problem is if I duplicate it the Rename Hotspot won't work because of the constant IDs ends up being different.

• You would need a separate Action for each Hotspot you wish to change - or rely on parameters to alter which Hotspot is affected by the Action.

But if you're just trying to change the verb display when hovering over a Hotspot, you don't need to rename the Hotspot.

What's your "Interaction method" set to? If "Context Sensitive", then you can check Prefix cursor labels? in your Cursor Manager to precede each Hotspot label with the name of the Hotspot's first-enabled Use interaction, e.g, "Look at", "Use", etc.

See the 3D Demo for an example of this in practice.

To then change which verb is shown, you can create an additional Use interaction in the Hotspot, and disable the first one so that the second becomes active. This can be done with the Hotspot: Change interaction Action.

Again, screenshots will help clarify the situation.