Forum rules - please read before posting.

Must pause the game for direct control menus?

My game is direct control for everything, so no mouse. I've been trying to get just basic basic menus in the game working and if the game is paused, direct control seems to work out, but seeing how animation is required for some of my menus, I need to keep it unpaused. The issue I seem to be running into is that I can't find a way to disable player movement that doesn't also totally break menu navigation.

I set up an ActionList when turned on and have tried out these:
Player Constrain > up/down/left/right
Engine Manage System > Input disable
Engine Manage System > Movement disable
(in combination with everything above)
Engine Manage System > Direct-nav in-game menu enable

In general having the game unpaused also has some weird effects where the nothing in the menu is selected until after pressing space bar once (after the menu already comes up) whereas when the pause game option is set it will correctly auto-select the first element.

Anyone else have luck with direct control menus?

Comments

• Are you using AC or Unity UI for menu rendering, and what are your AC/Unity version numbers?

Is the animation you're talking about part of the menu? If so, you may yet be able to pause the game and have animations play by changing the Animator's "Update Mode" to "Unscaled Time".

Try using the Menu: Select Action to force the selection of the element you intend at the same time the Menu is turned on.

• Unity: 2019.4.17f1 AC: 1.72.4
    All the animations are a part of the menu, yeah. Keeping the pause game toggle on and setting the menu animators to unscaled time works perfectly <3

Thanks again Chris!