Forum rules - please read before posting.

Customising Menu 'Offset Element Slot' operation via action lists?

Hi,

Using AC 1.71.8 with Unity 2019.2.10f1 in a 2D game.

I have a menu set up like an Inventory Box that I am using to display a book to the player, like this: https://imgur.com/a/aqe63Xt

The first time the player uses the book, I want to trigger certain unique actions when they turn to certain pages,
for example, triggering a little animation in the menu which changes the way the page looks and then adding an item to their inventory.

I thought that if I there was an action list to perform the same action as the menu : click type : offset menu element command then I would be able to 'program' the rest in using an action list, by selecting 'run action list' in the 'click type'. But I don't think there is this option, is there?

I guess this means that I will have to script something. Is that right?
I have not done this before with AC.
How would I get started with that process?

Thanks!

Comments

• A custom Action could be written to offset the element, but it's easier to hook into the OnMenuElementShift custom event, which is triggered whenever a multi-slot element is offset.

For example, you can have a script trigger an ActionList asset whenever an element named "InventoryBox" is offset. The following script, placed in the scene, would do just that:

using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

public class ActionListOnOffsetInventory : MonoBehaviour
    {

public ActionListAsset actionList;

private void OnEnable () { EventManager.OnMenuElementShift += OnMenuElementShift; }
        private void OnDisable () { EventManager.OnMenuElementShift -= OnMenuElementShift; }

private void OnMenuElementShift (MenuElement _element, AC_ShiftInventory shiftType)
        {
            if (_element.title == "InventoryBox")
            {
                actionList.Interact ();
            }
        }

}

For more on "Custom events", see the Manual's chapter of the same name.

• Aha. OK, that makes sense, yes, I see. So I can give the menu's inventory box a specific name and then use a script like this to trigger an action list.

Coolio, thanks Chris. I will report back when it is underway...