Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hotspots - turning them off used to work, doesn't seem to now

edited February 2021 in Technical Q&A

Unity ver: 2019.4.18f1
AC ver: 1.73.2

Hello,
I used to be able to turn off hotspots by using Object: Send Message, like so:

however since upgrading to 1.73.2 this doesn't seem to be working and the hotspot remains active.

I've also tried using Hotspot: Enable or Disable with the same result.

I'm getting no errors or warnings in the console.

The only things I've done are upgrade to 1.73.2 and also reorganise which layers hotspots use in my project.

Any thoughts what might be happening?

Comments

• edited February 2021

I've just tried a backup of my project in v1.72.4 and disabling / turning off hotspots is definitely working fine there.

• edited February 2021

I've just done a test of upgrading a duplicate project from v1.72.4 -> 1.73.2 and turning off hotspots works fine after the upgrade. That suggests it's something to do with changing the layers.

• edited February 2021

I've definitely narrowed this down to something to do with layers, and as a result Object: Send Message & Hotspot Enable or Disable fail to turn off hotspots.

@ChrisIceBox my setup is:

1) Running v1.73.2
    2) Hotspots are on layer 'Hotspot'
    3) AC raycast settings hotspot layer = "Hotspot"
    4) At this point, if I setup a hotspot to run an action list that turns off the hospot it works fine.
    5) Changing the raycast hotspot layer to 'Default', or changing the layers Hotspots are assigned to results in Object: Send Message & Hotspot: Enable or Disable failing to disable hotspots.

• edited February 2021

It isn't the above. I rolled back the project and redid the upgrade. I haven't touched the layers and I still have a scene full of hotspots that can't seem to be disabled.

• I've just done a test of upgrading a duplicate project from v1.72.4 -> 1.73.2 and turning off hotspots works fine after the upgrade.

I rolled back the project and redid the upgrade. I haven't touched the layers and I still have a scene full of hotspots that can't seem to be disabled.

What was the difference between these two procedures? It sounds like you're getting two different results with the same workflow.

The layer Hotspots use when enabled shouldn't matter so much as the "Deactivated layer", which is used when they're disabled. Is this set to Ignore Raycast?

It's this layer that a Hotspot is placed on when turned off. What layer are your Hotspots moved to (if any) when commanded to be turned off?

• edited March 2021

@ChrisIceBox Yes. I was getting very confused myself. I would have to repeat the process being more attentive along the way to answer your question.

In AC, where does it tell me / define which layer a disabled hotspot will be moved to? I haven't knowingly altered this.

• By default, it's Ignore Raycast - but you can change it in the Settings Manager in "Raycast settings".

• @ChrisIceBox I'm an idiot. I had the deactivation and active hotspot layer as the same thing. All resolved now.