Forum rules - please read before posting.

"Limit Visibility to Camera" overrides "Remember Visibility" on children

edited March 2021 in Engine development

Hey Chris,

I have the following setup:

• Parent with Component "Limit Visibility to Camera" attached (GameCamera 1) and "Affect children too?" checked
    • Child with Mesh Renderer disabled
    • Child with Component "Remember Visibility" attached, "Visibility on Start" set to OFF and "Affect children" checked.
      • Sub-child
      • Sub-child

As soon as I switch to (GameCamera 1), all children and sub-children of the parent get switched on.

AC 1.73.1
Unity 2020.2

Comments

• As intended, from the sounds of it. The Limit Visibilty component will automatically show/hide a renderer based on the active camera - regardless of the presence of any Rememeber Visibility component, which should merely record this visibility state.

What's the ultimate intent? To have the object only show up some of the time when a particular camera is active? You could try teleporting it from view until it's ready to be seen.

• edited March 2021

The Limit Visibilty component will automatically show/hide a renderer based on the active camera - regardless of the presence of any Remember Visibility component, which should merely record this visibility state.

I wasn't aware of that; I thought "Limit Visibility" was a general sort of permission for a GO to get rendered when a camera is active, but not an order.

Teleporting objects is something I'd rather like to avoid in my case, because it is hard to synchronize it with cameras switching, if these cameras (12 in my case) look at the same scenery from various angles; "FOUCs" are almost guaranteed.

Never mind, I'll work around it by switching off "Affect children" and add some extra actions for them instead.

Thanks for clarification, Chris!

• Just to make sure, though:

When a HotSpot is limited to a camera, this works differently, doesn't it? This will not override it's state (enabled or disabled), correct?

• edited March 2021

Yes. Since Hotspots are part of AC, their usage based on the camera can be controlled independently of their actual state.