Forum rules - please read before posting.

Adding scene to build settings results in "Cannot find suitable PlayerStart..."

edited March 2021 in Technical Q&A

Unity Ver: 2019.4.18f1
AC Ver: 1.73.2

I've had a test scene I've been using for ages with no problems, however tonight I went and added the scene to Unity's build settings as scene 0. As soon as I did I'm getting an AC warning:

Cannot find suitable PlayerStart for Player ID = 1 in the current scene

-> AC debug logger
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object, Object)
AC.ACDebug:LogWarning(Object, Object) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Static/ACDebug.cs:33)
AC.PlayerData:UpdatePosition(Int32, TeleportPlayerStartMethod, Int32) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/PlayerData.cs:288)
AC.PlayerPrefab:SetInitialPosition(PlayerData) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Character/PlayerPrefab.cs:160)
AC.SaveSystem:GetPlayerData(Int32) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:587)
AC.SaveSystem:AssignItemsToPlayer(InvCollection, Int32) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:1881)
AC.RuntimeInventory:AssignStartingItems() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Inventory/RuntimeInventory.cs:1113)
AC.RuntimeInventory:OnInitPersistentEngine() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Inventory/RuntimeInventory.cs:99)
AC.StateHandler:Initialise(Boolean) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/StateHandler.cs:97)
AC.KickStarter:SetPersistentEngine() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/KickStarter.cs:183)
AC.KickStarter:Initialise() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/KickStarter.cs:1139)
AC.MultiSceneChecker:Awake() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/MultiSceneChecker.cs:43)

The scene has a playerstart. I've never had any issues with running the scene in play mode before.

Comments

• edited March 2021

I have two players setup in AC settings with switching enabled. AC seems to be spawning both players into the scene:

Here's the player start:

• My apologies. I've fundamentally misunderstood something here. According to the manual, having multiple players requires they all spawn somewhere. I thought it was a case only one would be present and then when doing **Player:Switch ** the player would get replaced. I think I know why I'm experiencing this problem now.

• edited March 2021

By adding a new scene to build settings index 0, and playing it, I believe for the first time I'm seeing the non-default characters, which are told to start in scene index 0. All other scenes I've been testing were scene ID 1+....so they didn't have the problem of non-default characters in the scene.

• Inactive Players will only spawn in the scene that they're recorded as being in. The default stating scene index of all non-default Players is 0. If you haven't configured this to be otherwise, this is where they'll start the game from.

You can set the starting scene of all non-default Players in the Settings Manager. A tutorial on managing multiple Players can be found here.

• Thanks Chris. Certainly a lesson for me on not researching / learning things before using them.

If I disable player switching, is it best practice to let AC spawn the player into scenes, or, is it totally ok to have a local player placed in each scene?

• Totally fine. Having a local Player can have an affect on scene load times, if they have a lot of assets/data associated with them, but there are times when it's necessary if they depend on custom scripts / third-party assets.

• edited March 2021

but there are times when it's necessary if they depend on custom scripts / third-party assets.

Yeah. Very much that. Basically my player has lots of components that I need to turn off for some moments, and it's easier to get references if they're already in the scene. I thought having a 'lite' version of the player and switching to that might be the solution but if two are present in a scene the custom scripts fall over each other.

I'll just stick to one for now and modify the bits that need to change via actions. Thanks Chris.

• edited March 2021

Needs vary between projects, but I was talking more about the case when a custom component itself needs to be in the scene file - e.g. to reference other scene objects in its Inspector.

If you're just needing to record references to components attached to your Player, you can hook into the OnSetPlayer event:

void OnEnable () { EventManager.OnSetPlayer += OnSetPlayer; }
    void OnDisable () { EventManager.OnSetPlayer -= OnSetPlayer; }

void OnSetPlayer (Player player)
    {
        //
    }

This'll be always be triggered every time the Player character is assigned, regardless of the circumstance.